Experience: 4 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories.
We deliver energy responsibly, aiming to meet society’s energy demands today and in the future in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways. We operate safely with respect to our neighbors and work to minimize our environmental impact.
We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
Professional, timely, cost-effective and practical legal advice and support to the growing Downstream businesses in Mexico (including, but not limited to, Retail, Lubricants, Aviation and Marine).
The Downstream business in Mexico aspires to be a key contributor to the RDS Downstream cash engine and the face of the brand in Shell. This position provides legal advice to the Downstream lines of business in Mexico (including, Retail, Lubricants, Aviation and Marine) which are expected to grow over the next several years. This position delivers general business legal advice and assists in drafting and negotiating various commercial contracts for the Downstream lines of business. The role further provides advice regarding joint venture governance and contractual questions regarding potential joint ventures. This position is expected to coordinate and collaborate with other Lubricants, Retail and Downstream legal staff, as well as other subject matter legal experts, and work across business lines as needs and priorities may require from time to time.
Position description - Accountabilities:
• Act as a legal adviser to the various Downstream lines of business in Mexico, where appropriate, under supervision of a senior lawyer.
• Strong need for a commercial mindset and a risk based approach.
• Provide general legal advice related to business operations.
• Provide legal advice and support on contracts and business regulatory matters to the Downstream businesses in Mexico, including with respect to applicable federal and state laws and regulations governing commercial distributor relationships.
• Proactively identify commercial and legal risks and rewards and propose commercial and legal strategies related to the same.
• Provide legal advice and support with respect to customer relationship issues, including support for dispute resolution and pre-litigation strategy and planning.
• Provide legal advice and support on policy and programmatic activities undertaken by the Downstream businesses in Mexico.
• Share best practices and develop know how.
• Conduct legal awareness training as needed and requested from time to time.
• Supervise legal assistants’ work product, and provide direction, training and feedback.
• Experience with joint ventures a definite plus, but expertise can be developed in role.
Position description - Dimensions:
• Requires interface with a variety of Shell Legal colleagues.
• Expectation to work across Downstream and non-Downstream business lines as business needs and priorities require.
Position description - Special Challenges:
The Downstream lines of business are fast-moving and demanding, with high expectations of its lawyers and professional support staff generally. Speed, accuracy of response and ability to work independent are essential, as are good client relations.
Experience and Qualifications required:
• Mexico qualified lawyer with strong academic and commercial background
• Minimun of 4-7 years of professional work experience as a lawyer
• Extensive commercial contract experience
• Strong powers of legal analysis, drafting and negotiation
• Commercial, problem solving mindset
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Broad experience in dealing with complex agreements, regulations and processes
• Ability to work in a dynamic legal environment with clients who need to quickly respond to business and regulatory demands
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
• Ability to develop and sustain relationships with clients at all levels
• Demonstrable track record as a team player
• Excellent English speaking and writing skills
Key Competences Required:
• Apply commercial judgment in Legal - Skill
• Enable effective governance - Knowledge
• Identify legal risk - Skill
• Facilitate negotiation and conflict resolution - Skill
• Provide sound legal advice – Skill
IMPORTANT: due to system issues, the option "Mexico" is currently unavailable on the "Country/Region of Interest" section of this application process. Therefore, when you reach this particular section after starting your application, please select another country in Latin America region, and keep in mind that this will not affect your application in any way.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video