Skills: Civil Engineering, Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Surrey, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Come join our team in Surrey!
Make an impression in a growing international company with 35,000 talented people in over 55 countries.
Working alongside a diverse team, you will deliver our coordinate our Civil Engineering Laboratory field and lab testing in the BC lower mainland region and execute interesting and challenging projects for public and private clients.
Wood has an exciting opportunity in our Surrey, BC office for a Civil Engineering Laboratory Supervisor. Working directly with Geotechnical Engineers, the Civil Engineering Laboratory Supervisor will lead and develop Technicians and Technologists in a growing organization, and have input in the overall direction of services in the Civil Engineering Laboratory.
Currently the Surrey office provides materials testing and geotechnical services to a wide variety of markets such as Government, Industrial, Transportation, and Infrastructure. This is an opportunity to lead a range of technically challenging projects and develop in technical project management. Internal training is available and, for the right individual who is willing to learn, advancement opportunities exist. The successful candidate will be flexible in assignments, and willing to travel periodically. A self-motivated individual, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, will thrive in this environment.
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of the concrete / soil / asphalt laboratory
- Supervise material technical staff performing field and laboratory tests
- Coach material technical staff to earn high customer satisfaction
- Perform lab and field tests as required
- Review lab and field test results and reports to ensure standards of quality and accuracy are met
- Assist the Department Manager with scheduling and coordinating the activities of material technical staff, assessing resources and allocating work to meet priorities
- Responsible for lab safety, lab certification, preparing for lab audits, maintaining lab equipment, maintaining quality control and ensuring timely execution of lab tests
- Leadership of projects, and business development efforts with civil materials testing focus for various clients and sectors
- Manage and deliver high quality projects safely, on-time, within budget and to the satisfaction of the client
Skills / Qualifications
- Technical school diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or a degree in Civil Engineering
- At least eight years in experience in construction QA / QC testing and inspection
- Experience on CCIL Laboratory Accreditations
- Able to earn high customer satisfaction
- At least eight years in experience with geotechnical/materials laboratory operations
- Ability and experience performing standard CSA and ASTM tests
- Ability and experience directing and managing junior staff
- Excellent organization skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Must have ability to make quick decisions requiring sound judgment and experience
- Must have sound knowledge of laboratory tests, field testing and inspection
- Team oriented attitude
- Pleasant manner and positive experience in dealing with client is necessary
- Valid drivers license
- Must pass physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
- Ability to lift maximum 50 pounds
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life-cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
Wood is ranked among Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings. Find out more here.