Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for an Assistant Consultant Mechanical Engineer to join our multi-discipline project engineering team. The Assistant Mechanical Engineer, whilst based in our Newcastle office, will deliver the mechanical design content of challenging industrial projects for our clients within the utility, pharmaceutical, water and waste industries, and for process, chemical and general industrial companies and contracting organisations throughout the UK and beyond.
Working as a member of various multidiscipline project design teams, initially under the supervision of a lead mechanical engineer, you will contribute to the project mechanical design input at all stages of projects. This will include carrying out asset surveys, calculations and design for feasibility studies, conceptual & detailed design reports, and the production of procurement documentation, schematic and design drawings. You are also likely to become involved in tender assessment, review of contractor submissions, witness testing of plant & technical support to construction management staff. You will need to communicate effectively and to co-ordinate your work with the rest of the design team. You will be supported in your technical and professional development by senior staff and our active early careers group.
If you have the right qualifications and skills, and are keen to work within an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we will be pleased to hear from you
Skills / Qualifications
You will be qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering, preferably an IMechE accredited course. A higher degree and graduate membership of an appropriate engineering institution would be an advantage
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- A good technical understanding of mechanical principles, including fluid mechanics, and use of a mathematical approach to mechanical problem solving by calculation where appropriate
- A good client facing manner, diligent, confident and highly motivated; whether working as part of the client’s team, together with Amec Foster Wheeler colleagues, or on their own
- The ability to communicate clearly in the English language; both verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation using MS office applications
- Some knowledge of AutoCAD would be an advantage
- The ability to work flexibly and to integrate their work with other discipline areas, whilst working to tight programme and budget constraints on several projects simultaneously
- Good powers of observation; specifically of physical arrangements and construction practises
- The ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, to act in a safe manner, and to asset survey, inspect, and witness test mechanical equipment and installations
- Possession of a valid UK driving licence and a vehicle is essential, as is a willingness to travel and work for limited periods elsewhere within the UK (and on occasion overseas)
- Amec Foster Wheeler will support your development on the IMechE Monitored Professional Development Scheme (MPDS) enabling you to progress to chartered or incorporated status, gaining experience in a number of areas and developing to your full potential
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life-cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
Wood is ranked among Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings. Find out more here.