What's the role?
As a member of the Maritime Technology team, the Project Engineer, Technology is responsible for delivering new and enabling technologies that enhance existing and future shipping or floating projects. In addition, Maritime Technology aims to support Shell's vision to become a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050, in step with society's progress in achieving the goal of the UN Paris Agreement on climate change. The objective is to create and introduce differentiating technology that enables new business and ensures Shell remains the most cost competitive and innovative energy company.
Global position working closely and principally with Projects & Technology businesses with the purpose to lead all maritime Technology Projects for Shell via our Technology Maturation process. For decarbonization working with businesses, projects, equipment designers, shipyards, shipowners/operators, and universities as well as internal stakeholders at all levels including Executive Committee members.
You will be responsible for:
What we need from you
- Providing expertise and advice on technology developments that support Shell's strategy.
- For technology, effective liaison with personnel from professional bodies, shipyard managers, Shell Shipping fleet management operation units and Shell Group discipline engineers.
- Leading the new business entry area of Shipping Sectoral Decarbonisation from a technology, research, and development perspective.
- Contributing to the development of a Technology, Innovation, Research, and development strategy applicable to all Shipping and Maritime activities across Shell. Support the delivery of decarbonization pathways, and liaise with strategic partners, to support Shell's net-zero vision and more specifically lead the Shipping Sector to achieving the International Maritime O rganization and Paris Agreement ambitions.
- Providing the leadership for innovations that drive safety, reduce emissions and cost, identifying ideas to be progressed through the Innovation Stage Gate Process, linking ideas to the appropriate framework for development.
- Leveraging industry relationships including our partnering University and other strategic partners to achieve objectives and deliver strategy.
We're keen to hear from individuals who have as many of the following as possible:
- Combined First Class Certificate of Competency and/or degree with further extensive, relevant experience in Discipline and/or industry demonstrated through career history.
- Chartered Engineer aligned with a recognized maritime professional body such as RINA , IMarEST, or similar.
- Knowledge of the relevant international standards, Classification Society Rules and Regulations, and Shell Design Engineering Practices for hazardous areas.
- Identifying and screening value adding, differentiating technologies that enhance safety, reduce costs, improve efficiency, reduce emissions, and accelerate project delivery
- Identifying technology commercialisation opportunities and providing technical support to the commercialisation process and product development
- Evaluate, support, stimulate and frame new technology proposals to maximize the business value delivery from the Maritime Technology Platform
- Skill demonstrable in one of the four core sub disciplines (Naval Architect, Marine Engineer, Nautical Advisor or Electrical Instrumentation and Control Engineer). Knowledge demonstrable for all sub disciplines.
- Enthusiastic about new technology and is a creative thinker.
- A self-starter with drive, motivation and enthusiasm are important, with a clear mind and wanting to make a difference in this important position for Shell.
- Enthusiastic Leader that captures the interest of partners, stakeholders, and customers.
- A team player with the necessary communication (oral and written) skills to interface with other disciplines and organisations.
- Performs well under pressure and thrives in challenging situations.
- Ability to work across organisational boundaries, remove barriers and align stakeholders with good business understanding and customer focus.
- Demonstrable knowledge/experience of the commercial and economic environment within which ships are constructed and operated.
- Knowledge of ship efficiency encompassing all areas of impact ranging from hydrodynamic drivers to propulsion systems.
- Knowledge of data analytics and data science and data's potential to unlock new technologies, value, and emissions reduction.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don't feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.Company Description
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.