Shell is looking for a Senior Indirect Tax Adviser
to join our team in Calgary. As the Senior Indirect Tax Adviser, reporting to the Senior Indirect Tax Manager, you will act as a subject matter expert (SME) with a designated country or regional tax focus alongside other Senior Indirect Tax Advisers. In this role, you will be supported by a team of indirect tax advisers, analysts, and other specialists located primarily at Shell's business centers (FO Tax) in Manila, Philippines, and Krakow, Poland.
While the role has a specific regional focus, it is also part of a local Canadian Tax country team and a wider global Indirect Tax team; thus, you will need to work flexibly as priorities demand and development opportunities arise. You will take responsibility for providing pro-active, value-added,
indirect tax advice, shaping, structuring, and supporting Shell business/functions with a taxable presence in Canada. Advice includes compliance with fiscal requirements, effective risk management, and support of business objectives and strategies. As the SME, you will take accountability for ensuring robust, aligned, and effective end-to-end indirect tax process designs and related tax filing positions covering Canadian businesses.
You will maintain strong relationships, and effectively coordinate with a global network of tax advisers based primarily in the US, UK, and the EU. You will furthermore coordinate, assess, shape, put judgement and advise on emerging environmental and cross-border taxes that affect the company and its affiliates.Accountabilities:
Skills & Requirements
- Provide proactive, value-added, and technically appropriate Canadian indirect tax advice to support and further Shell's business goals and objectives and minimize indirect tax liabilities
- Advocate and shape externally (trade groups, government bodies) on relevant indirect tax matters
- Monitor developments and proposals regarding Canadian indirect tax legislative and regulatory issues; and provide value-added advice that can pragmatically be applied at Shell.
- Optimize indirect tax cash and receivables for Shell's business/functions operating in Canada
- Support the business in the use of appropriate tax reliefs such as the use of rulings, remissions, or free trade treaties (USMCA, CETA, CPTPP), applications for exclusions, and others as required
- Provide high-quality local and cross-border indirect tax advice and structuring in support of business objectives and priorities, focusing efforts in areas of the highest complexity, risk, and added value
- Provide support to FO Tax for the delivery of accurate Tax reporting, compliance, and audit responses
- Comply with Shell Responsible Tax Principles and demonstrate expected Shell Finance behaviors of a Learner Mindset
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than the current employer
- CA/CPA/CMA, MBA, or relevant advanced/master's degree (economics, taxation, accounting, etc.)
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in a similar role; business taxation in a multinational, public accounting, or professional firm is a plus
- Experience and fluency in the implementation, and/or go-live of tax technology and related financial systems and processes (e.g., SAP4Hanna, CFIN, ENDUR)
- Technical knowledge and experience in Canadian indirect tax laws; including experience with indirect tax treatment of corporate restructuring and reorganizations and fundamental knowledge of emerging indirect tax issues affecting the energy sector