Where you fit in
The Production Technologist role is ideal for an individual who is technical, value oriented and motivated to contribute to a high-quality business. It provides an opportunity to be a key part of leading and shaping the future of the UK assets, and in doing so contribute to transforming the Shell UK Upstream business.
The Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) Development & Sub-surface (D&SS) team directly support the Shell Operated Venture UK (SOVUK) organisation and cover the full opportunity funnel for two major Shell UK upstream assets; Pierce and Penguins which are located offshore in the central and northern North Sea. The level of development activity in the FPSO asset is high along with production optimisation efforts from existing infrastructure. Penguins is a Growth Asset, with project execution and well delivery ongoing, this provides an exciting opportunity to be part of a high-capacity team with a significant role to play in delivering value across different value streams.
The D&SS team is part of the FPSO natural team, with strong connections to Operations, Wells, Finance and Commercial. Thus, FPSO D&SS offers enormous opportunity to deepen your cross functional skillsets. The D&SS team members can be asset focussed, or deployed across assets, as delivery needs demand. The level of activity is high with drilling operations and a remit to maximise the intrinsic value of our assets with an increasing intensity in Well, Reservoir and Facility Management (WRFM) execution.What's the role?
As a Production Technologist in the Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) Asset, you will support the Penguins field redevelopment project; completion design & execution, asset start-up & ramp up, and the transition into daily operations.
This position reports to the Principal Production Technologist in the FPSO asset team, who reports to the Area Development and Subsurface Manager, FPSO UK.
As a Production Technologist (PT) supporting the FPSO Asset, you will:
What we need from you
- Support the Asset Development Subsurface Manager and the Subsurface Leads through delivery of technical recommendations on Best Available Technology for well development options, lifecycle conceptual completion designs, flow assurance strategies, well start-up and unloading plans
- Provide offshore support for completion operations during the execute phase including onsite support for well unloading and well test operations. Ensuring these are executed as efficiently as possible to minimise GHG emissions without compromising business/subsurface objectives
- Support front-end delivery for the Penguins redevelopment capital project and ensuring subsurface risks are identified and appropriately managed, leveraging the capability of the integrated natural team and addressing key gaps in decision quality, where necessary - QC lifecycle completion design load cases, verify completion methodology against requirements across lifecycle requirements, inflow and outflow enhancement based on the predicted lifecycle well operating conditions including contaminant range
- 'Perform' the WRFM process for the FPSO assets - support the assets in developing a WRFM philosophy/strategy, operationalising WRFM excellence, conducting performance and work effectiveness reviews and sharing best practices across Shell UK
- Mature well intervention opportunities in line with the End to End well intervention delivery process; QC assumptions, embed scenario thinking as part of concept select, deliver well activity proposals and support well intervention activities during execution. Ensure key operational data is correctly recorded and made available to key stakeholders
- Undertake daily well performance to ensure safe and optimum well production, facility surveillance support, and provide support as required for deep dives (for example flow assurance conformance)
- Influence the well & reservoir surveillance strategy, regularly assess well integrity performance against the Shell Standard and highlight any gaps for improvement
- Provide support to the "Zone owner" for PT in the FPSO Assert (i.e. Principal Production Technologist) - as a technical integrator in the PT domain. Able to pull on and leverage the technical expertise available within Shell
- Support credible production forecasts and business planning (short, mid, and long term) that integrate subsurface technical, and threats and opportunities, with insights sourced from quality analysis, benchmarking and assumptions informed through effective engagement and collaboration with the integrated teams
- Play a visible role in the Production Technology community of Shell UK and support knowledge sharing and discipline improvement initiatives, provide technical coaching for other PTs
- Influence the embedment of a learner mindset by emphasizing psychological safety and building relationships both internally and with partners
The successful candidate must have a demonstrable track record of technical competences required of a Production Technologist, commitment to HSSE and proven capability to integrate seamlessly across disciplines.
The successful candidate will have:
- A University Degree in Petroleum Engineering or related discipline
- Relevant Exploration and Production (EP) experience with an emphasis on well completion design and execution, asset start-up and well/reservoir management
- Skilled in core Production Technology competencies; Well performance modelling and enhancement, well and completion design, well integrity management and design and execution of well interventions
- Operations site based experience in well interventions/completions
- Extensive experience and knowledge of well integrity practices/ requirements
- Proficient in use of Petroleum Engineering software (including PETEX suite and OLGA)
- Demonstrated robust understanding of the multi-disciplinary aspects of the Upstream Exploration and Development business, with a track record of integrating Production Technology with other disciplines
- Knowledge (or skill) in production chemistry and flow assurance is advantageous along with understanding the interfaces between subsurface and subsea/facilities is a prerequisite
Integration and Leadership & Business Acumen
- Performance focus: agility and a focus on delivery, coupled with the ability to take responsibility in an empowered organisation
- A result driven mindset, whilst maintaining an open-minded and flexible approach in delivering the performance outcome
- Willing to proactively lead, integrate across functions and problem solve
- Have a learner mindset, be curious and knowledgeable of industry best practices
- Ability to coach and develop junior Production Technologists and translate strategy / intent into daily work
- Proven ability to build trust and rapport with individuals, their team, and wider teams irrespective of background
- Strong partnering and influencing skills, have a learner mindset and be culturally sensitive
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don't feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.Company Description
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.