What is the purpose
Shell's climate targets are aligned with The Paris Agreement on climate change; to limit the increase in global average temperature to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels. Shell has embarked on the journey to become a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050. Shell has laid the foundations for success and have taken critical investment decision in the production of low-carbon fuels and renewable power generation.
Shell will also play a leading role as the world's energy systems change. As part of this effort, Shell recognizes the importance of working with its customers across different sectors to reduce emissions. To enable this change, Shell created the Global Renewable Energy Solutions Division. The Solutions Development Team is an integral part of this Shell Division. The Solutions Development team's singular focus is to support our Customers in their decarbonization journey. We empower our Customers to operate businesses that are cleaner and more productive.
The Solutions Development team is responsible for developing, delivering, and continuously improving a portfolio of new products, services, and business models in the Decarbonization space, aiming to meet the current and future needs of commercial and industrial customers.Senior Energy Engineer What is the role
As a Senior Energy Engineer, you will play an integral role in the assessment, commercialization, and delivery of decarbonization solutions for Commercial and Industrial Customers. Under minimal supervision, you will be expected to lead customer engagements for energy efficiency opportunities. Work scope will also include the following below:
How you will do it
- Initial screening of project opportunities at Customer Site(s)
- Conceptualize designs and create roadmaps for implementing energy efficiency technologies
- Develop compelling business case for proposed scopes of work
- Develop energy efficiency opportunities and lead efforts to move a project from initial assessment through contracting to financial close
- Conduct energy audits at customer facilities to identify energy efficiency (lighting, HVAC etc.) opportunities
- Gather/source necessary data during site visit(s) through visual inspection of equipment & operations engaging vendor and customer support as needed
- Perform energy engineering calculations using relevant software modeling tools, existing or new templates to determine energy and operational savings for proposed scopes
- Develop financial models utilizing existing Shell templates to determine return on investment metrics such as net present value or internal rate of return
- Develop project scope and translate into high quality documents to share with vendors and customers
- Work with Internal Supply Chain and external partners to develop realistic contracting plans for closed projects
- Develop customer-facing proposals
- Lead negotiation of final contract terms with Customers in coordination with Finance and Legal
RequirementsWhat we need from you
- Be the primary point of contact for projects during the development phase
- Effectively utilize Shell's available internal and external resources to support you in project development
- Provide continuous feedback on supplier engagements to Product Managers and Supply Chain to inform product strategy
- Travel as necessary to attend Customer site visits and contractor engagements
- Mentor and coach other team members
- Support customer education campaigns working with company marketing and origination teams
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- You must have minimum of 10 years of experience successfully developing and implementing energy efficiency projects within Commercial and Industrial space
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical field is required, preferably Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial Engineering; Graduation from a USDOE Industrial Assessment Center (IAC) a plus, Master's Degree a plus
- PE ( Professional Engineer ) or CEM certifications a plus
- You must have a track record of supporting the execution of commercial agreements with customers and suppliers. Working knowledge of typical contract structures used to support Behind The Meter upgrades, such as energy savings performance contracts (ESPCs), energy as a service (EaaS), and power purchase agreements (PPAs)
- A working technical understanding of the range of relevant technologies within the solar, energy storage, and microgrid controls category
- Demonstrated experience developing commissioning, retro-commissioning plans, and IPMVP-compliant Measurement and Verification (M&V) plans
- Strong knowledge of sustainable building practices, codes and standards
- You should be passionate about decarbonization
- Excellent communicator, capable of managing conversations at C-Level and technical stakeholders
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Self-driven, self-motivated and demonstrated capability to make responsible decisions
- Demonstrated record for successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with eQuest, DOE-2, Homer, Helioscope, Trane Trace, or other modelling tools a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and through cross-business collaboration. Demonstrated prior work with multiple disciplines (technical, commercial, financial, legal, Supply Chain etc.)
- Comfortable working for a dynamic organization with a fast-growing customer base with diverse needs
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.