Where you fit in
Join our Digital Community
You will be part of a community of experts in different capabilities in Information Digital Engineering driving ideas to reality embedding AI in every part of our organisation from making our existing businesses more effective and efficient and make us competitive as we accelerate the development of the next generation of clean energy solutions.
The Information Data & Analytics (IDA) family is a family of Data experts who create business value every day with their cutting-edge knowledge. We maximize value from information & data, using our domain knowledge & deep technical expertise in market leading information & data tools, to deliver actionable data driven insights for Shell
Want to join us at Shell Powering Progress for a better future?
With you part of our team, we will accelerate our digital journey at Shell.
Join our Data Community
You will be part of a community of experts in different capabilities in Information Digital Engineering driving ideas to reality. The Information Data & Analytics (IDA) family is a community of data experts in Shell who create business value every day with their cutting-edge knowledge. We are looking for more members to join the IDA Family. What's the role?
IT Lead Data Engineering role will lead a team of data & analytics professional who are mainly tasked with building data solutions. They do this by developing, maintaining, and testing infrastructures for data generation working closely with business and other parts of IT engineering like Project Managers & Business Analysts. "Capability Center Lead is responsible for building a specific technical / functional capability (for one or many business areas) with a target of building the team to deliver world class services to meet business outcomes. They are responsible for securing and building the right talent pool that has the desired skills and capabilities, is also aimed at constantly evolving and adopting to the technology innovation in the IT industry.
The key focus areas of the role are:
- Capability Management
- Optimized resourcing
- Delivery model and strategy
- Enterprise compliance
- Value generation and prioritization
- Relationship management
- Capability Management: Plan and operationalize the skills and capability of the staff to create an environment of constant learning. Reskilling based on supply/demand for technologies that are highly in demand through training drives, social learning and hackathons. Perform all aspects of staff management Goals and Performance Appraisal (GPAs), Individual Development Plan (IDPs), management of succession of talent pipeline to ensure the next generation of leaders are being identified, coached and mentored - and all other associated line management responsibilities
- Optimized Resourcing: Identify the required scale of the resources, securing them and assigning them to individual projects, ensuring our best resources work on our most challenging projects. Defining the sourcing strategy and executing with the agreed suppliers in collaboration with Product line managers and Business Interfaces. Key focal towards the IT Managers (ITM's) / Program Managers within all lines of business to meet the demands. Creates the optimum mix of internal and external resources and the desired geographical balance between the IT Hubs and other business proximate locations. Prioritizes and allocate resources. Manages utilization
- Delivery Model and Strategy: Implement a standard delivery model that focuses on the adoption of standard processes and the creation of value from them. Drive implementation efficiency and effectiveness across the pilots and future projects to minimize cost, increase speed of implementation and maximize value delivery. Pro-actively identify and propagate common, reusable approaches across implementations (e.g. change management, process adoption and exploitation) ensuring these reflect the approaches and best practices of other Functional Excellence groups. Define and maintain standards, methodologies, tools and knowledge repositories along with contributing to functional excellence in terms of standards, methods and tools. Ensure lessons learnt from market service implementations are identified and applied to projects
- Enterprise Compliance: Drives, through the x-functional natural team, compliance to agreed technical Enterprise standards, promoting understanding of architectural roadmaps into the Product team. Leads the team to proactively manage risk and engage Information Risk Manager (IRM)/Legal during discovery and within the regulatory boundaries of target geographies
- Value Generation & Prioritization: Seeks user value and understands how to translate this into commercial value for Shell across the delivery lifecycle. Seeks to prove value early and return on investment quickly. Creates a team environment where ideas are challenged and constructively debated to maximize business outcomes and reduce waste
- Relationship Management: Role-models, champions, and advocates for collaborative and open ways of working and behaviors built on trust and driven by empathy. Acts to 'oil the wheels' of the Product team through influence, leadership, and inspiration - doing so as equally with contributing IT, business stakeholders and Product consumers
- Innovation: Uses innovation with purpose, seeking insights from recognized internal and external champions to develop the capability. Accountable for driving continuous improvement and creating a culture of constantly challenging the as-is to continuously enhance process and technology
Being Our Team Member:
You will be an asset in our team bringing deep technical skills and capabilities to become a key part of projects defining the data journey in Shell, keen to engage, network and innovate in collaboration with companywide teams.
We focus on continuous learning of new technologies to make you future ready. What we need from you
We are keen to hear from the candidates with below skill sets:
- Extensive experience in the IT or related industry with university degree in any IT discipline
- Build strong partnership and delivery model structure with each of the businesses
- Proven ability to handle broad set of IT Delivery to support architecture and business stakeholders
- Professional and personal development of the Shell staff in is key. This requires a strong visible leader who can inspire the staff and the broader team
- Strong awareness and experience in managing the risks around projects.
- Execute the Market Standard Unless strategy for the portfolios
- Demonstrated ability to influence senior business leadership to gain support for business change/ transformation activities
- Proven technology leadership experience in broader data domain with deep expertise in one or more technologies (SAP HANA, Azure Databricks, PySpark, ADF, Kafka etc)
- Broader technology architecture experience with proven ability on solution consulting on diverse technology spectrum and business problems
Nice to have Skills
- Gas/Power Trading knowledge - Short-term trading, physical assets trading (Combined Cycle Gas Turbine (CCGT), Wind, Solar, Battery)
- Risk - Modelling & understanding of risk & risk management
- Quantitative Skills - Statistical methods to check and investigate numerical data for practical insights
- Commodity Modelling - Energy (power, gas, environmental products) and meteorology
- Experience in project management, running a scrum team
- Experience working with Business Planning & Consolidation (BPC), Planning
- Exposure to working with external technical ecosystem
- Managing small teams
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part. An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.