Where you fit in
The size and complexity of Shell Trading & Supply (T&S) has increased substantially over the past few years and the expectations around risk management from a regulatory perspective have also shifted for Energy trading. We are therefore strengthening the risk management capabilities of the organisation from a people, process, data and systems perspective in both the first and second lines of defence.
The Risk Governance, Process and Controls team focus on ensuring that the risk organisation is following its policies and procedures correctly, has properly documented processes and controls, operates these controls appropriately and is overall managing the operational risk which exists within the Risk function. This role will specifically focus on processes and controls related to Market Risk.
This role relates to T&S. Primary stakeholders are the risk teams located in T&S hubs in London, Houston, Rotterdam, Dubai and Singapore, with global activities. The role will also interface with teams in the Shell Business Operations and more broadly across T&S. What's the role?
The Market Risk Process & Controls Manager's principle accountabilities are:
What do we need from you?
- Support the Head of Risk Governance, Process and Controls in:
- Strengthening the internal control environment and raising transparency of the operational risks which sit within Market Risk processes
- Reviewing existing processes and associated controls and making recommendations for improvements
- Ensuring documentation/mapping of Market Risk processes using Shell approved methodologies
- Working together with Risk SME's on identification and remediation of issues when they occur in risk processes (control learning events, internal/external audit issues etc)
- Creating and improving appropriate KPI/KRI's to monitor the performance of Market Risk processes
- Escalate control issues identified within the function to appropriate stakeholders for remediation and ensure these are tracked in a central log for the function
- Contributing to the Market Risk Transformation agenda
- Supporting Risk SME's with the regular review and writing of policies/procedures applicable to Market Risk
- Manage one direct report
- Interface with Risk teams onshore and in the SBO's to drive the control agenda
- Contribute to ad hoc projects in the Risk Governance, Process & Controls team
We are keen to hear from candidates with the following experience and qualifications:
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they do not feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.More About Shell in UK
- Knowledge of Market Risk management activities, methodologies and ways of working
- Experience of operational risk management in a complex Trading organisation through previous roles focused on risk and controls eg Governance, Risk & Assurance activity
- Prior experience of assurance and control testing is preferred
- Ideally prior experience of physical and financial commodity trading
- High quality written and visual presentation skills (Word, Powerpoint)
- Excellent attention to detail, methodical, organized
- Resilient when working under pressure and ability to prioritise tasks to meet deadlines
- Self-starter, highly motivated, outcome driven
- Good judgement to provide advice, question discrepancies, escalate issues
- Learner mindset: innovative and creative, excellent problem-solving capabilities
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential...
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.