Where you fit in -
As Geotechnical Engineer within Floating Systems of the Deepwater Gulf of Mexico Projects organization, the position will be a shared resource in Greenfield and Brownfield projects. The position responsibilities include support of the full project life cycle (Identify to Operate) to ensure that risks and requirements associated with geotechnical engineering, soil-structure interaction and geohazards are addressed for seabed-founded installations of Deepwater developments.
This position will require collaborative relationships both internally and externally, rooted in the principle of partnership and simplification, towards the desired outcome of delivering safe, reliable, and competitive Deepwater projects. The position will also serve in the Civil-Marine community as a part of the Deepwater Center of Excellence, providing expertise and ad hoc support to global projects as well as sharing lessons learned and best practices.
What's the role -
The primary accountabilities of this position are:
- Demonstrate a commitment to Goal Zero with visible HSSE leadership that fosters constant focus and ensures compliance with HSSE policies. Ensure that contractors also demonstrate appropriate HSSE behaviors towards expected performance.
- Apply and grow knowledge, skills and abilities to enable Shell's Powering Progress strategy.
- Drive the innovation and new ways of working necessary to achieve Shell's capital project aspirations with a relentless focus on outcomes.
- Develop and maintain standards related to offshore geotechnical engineering, foundations, and anchors for projects and asset integrity.
- Manage geotechnical site investigation contractors and consultancies in delivering risk-based solutions.
- Perform technical assurance to ensure the integrity, constructability, functionality and reliability of designs, actively participating in design reviews, peer assists and technical audits.
- Facilitate performance improvements such as technology implementation, standardization of designs, simplification of processes and internal as well as external knowledge sharing.
- Deliver fit-for-purpose geotechnical solutions for wells in tophole planning, design and construction in support of exploration and development.
What we need from you -
- A legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or in any related field. Master's Degree or Ph.D in Geotechnical Engineering is preferred. With at least five (5) years' experience in Offshore Geotechnical Engineering.
Specific skills and experiences must include:
The qualifications for this position are a combination of the necessary skills, technical expertise, systems thinking, project execution experience, ability to maintain a network of diverse stakeholder relationships, and an understanding of Deepwater and Upstream business objectives.
- Advanced knowledge of API and ISO industry standards with the ability to contribute to Geotechnical codes and standards task groups.
- Strong HSSE commitment and demonstrated visible leadership, especially in offshore site investigations.
- Experience working with HSSE management standards and guidelines, contract management, hazard identification, operational procedures, marine assurance and regulations.
- Occasional offshore visits are required to support project and asset operational needs or to support site investigation campaigns, well drilling and marine operations for installation.
- Manage geotechnical laboratory test programs, interpretation, data integration and reporting.
- Skills in finite-difference analysis, plasticity analysis, finite element analysis, and machine learning as applied to offshore structures as well as pipeline- and riser-soil interaction.
- Good understanding of risk and reliability.
- Apply competencies in supporting other Civil-Marine disciplines such as Structural Engineering and Mooring Engineering as needed.
- Ability to prioritize activities effectively in an active project or asset environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplined/multi-cultural teams with a learner mindset and perspective.
- High personal energy level and a track record in achieving stretching personal and business goals.
- Manage interfaces, complex issues, and often competing preferences among a variety of stakeholders.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in among other exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of oil products, chemicals, electric power, renewables and energy solutions.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards f performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential...
We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment processes, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.