Senior Mechanical Engineer
The Mechanical engineer is a key member of the owner's engineering team. Will support, oversee and ensure robust and timely performance of EPC firm's piping design deliverables for assigned project. Must ensure piping systems meet The Client Engineering Standards and applicable industry standards. Candidate must have extensive experience with chemical/petrochemical plant piping design, fabrication, and construction. Must also have extensive experience with state of the art piping design tools as used by EPC firms to provide piping design deliverables, including piping design for large piping & equipment modules. Will be key member of owner's technical team providing wide range of guidance to the overall project for all piping related activities. Must have proven track record of leading pipe design and execution activities for large projects.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure project piping design, fabrication, and construction adheres to The Client Engineering Standards.
- Support mechanical equipment engineering with piping expertise and know-how at state-of-the-art levels regarding sizing, material selection, hydraulic calculation, piping system design, piping support design, and stress analysis to meet project goals.
- Responsible for advising project leaders of potential deviations from The Client Engineering Standards and recommendation to rectify same at all stages of the project.
- Provide input and support to the piping systems quality program to meet standards for piping design, fabrication/procurement installations and pre-commissioning.
- Serve as the primary source of technical expertise for piping systems engineering and support and drive contractor performance during design, procurement, fabrication, field installation and pre-commissioning.
- Support the creation and approval of contractor and equipment procurement packages that may have piping components.
- Review, mark-up, and approve EPC generated and vendor generated piping design deliverables.
- Oversee EPC and vendor piping design activities and deliverables through all stages of FEL and execution: layout, piping standard selection, pipe service index, line list, pipe stress and supports, isometrics, modular layout and configuration, fabrication, quality assurance, install and testing.
- Participate in module layout and delineation activities to support efficient fabrication and construction activities.
- Start-up activities including identifying critical piping systems, performance monitoring and evaluation of all piping systems, analyze stresses and perform analysis critical systems and provide recommendations. Prepare technical reports as required.
- Create, review, and ensure application of Vestolit Engineering standards and industry practices for piping construction and turnover packages.
- Will be fully involved in various pre-commissioning activates such as piping systems testing, and provide outline for wall thickness testing frequency and overall monitoring schedule.
- Support cost estimating and scheduling through key quantity tracking for all piping discipline activities.
- Will oversee and approve selection and review of piping specialty items.
- Prepare and review specification, of 3D model, isometrics and datasheet for all systems. Oversee FEA for critical piping systems during FEED phase of projects.
- Oversee preparation of piping procurement package and evaluation of EPC & vendor proposals.
- Experienced with stage gated project process and material tracking, estimating, planning, scheduling.
- Experience doing field verification of piping for construction and commissioning. Experience in project related piping engineering and for all aspects of piping in general including codes and standards such as ASME, API, ASTM, PFI, PIP, MSS, NFPA.
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering. Minimum 15 years of piping engineering & design experience at EPC firm working on large chemical/petrochemical projects.
- Desire at least 5 years of which working at a chemical manufacturing plant or supporting piping construction & commissioning at an operating chemical plant.
- Piping modularization/pre-fabrication experience preferred.
- Deep experience in 3D piping design tools and model creation, review and model output/deliverables. Examples: Aveva E3D, Navisworks, FlexCAD Pipe, SmartPlant 3D, SmartPlant P&ID, Caesar II.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Domestic travel to suppliers and to plant sites is expected about 15 - 25% percent of the time.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.