The role of Team Lead Novel Materials offers you an opportunity to work with talented researchers discovering & developing novel materials for our conventional processes (like gas-to-liquids, hydroprocessing, etc.) as well as for energy transition related areas (like electrochemical conversions, CO2 capture/conversion, biomass conversion, etc.). If you are passionate about innovating "novel material solutions" for Shell through a team of highly motivated individuals, this role is for you.Where you fit
You will be part of the diverse and cross-disciplinary VP-ship that brings together Catalyst, Analytical, Rock and Fluids as well as site management teams to deliver technology in a more efficient and effective manner. By leveraging global collaboration and expertise across the labs in Amsterdam, Bangalore, Ghent, Houston, and Leuna, resulting in more and cleaner energy solutions for business stakeholders including Shell Catalyst & Technologies (SC&T), Downstream Manufacturing (DS-M), Integrated Gas, Upstream and New Energies.
You will work as a Team Lead leading one of the four teams in multi-disciplinary novel materials R&D team and will be responsible for driving innovation/ideation and associated deliveries to the existing line of businesses (in the space of Catalysts) and support new business developments (in the space of energy transition). You will be working closely with the process development/evaluation team at STCB & globally and will be guiding experimental work happening in the Novel Materials R&D department in this regard.What's the role?
Your accountabilities include:
What we need from you
- Lead a team of 11-12 experimentalists & provide needed technical / non-technical support in their areas of work.
- Work with researchers across the department and across VP-ships to develop own ideas and innovative R&D concepts related to novel materials for existing conventional areas and energy transition areas.
- Keep Goal Zero (no harm to people) at the heart of everything and achieve safe operation in execution of experimental programs in the lab.
- Liaison with key global/local academic institutes to develop and guide state of the art programs and projects in areas of interest mentioned above to the benefit of own work objectives and staying ahead of the competition.
- Work closely with One Site team to enable the work of experimentalists and facilitate capability building (for e.g., via new experimental installations) in a timely manner.
- Staff development
- Manage stakeholders sponsoring projects in different areas via regular updates and engagements.
- PhD in Materials Chemistry/heterogeneous catalysis/Chemical Engineering/ or related discipline with 8+ years of proven industrial work experience in relevant industry position(s) in the energy sector and/or petrochemical industry.
- Demonstrated experience in the area of material scale-up and deployment
- Demonstrated experience in understanding of process aspects related to material testing, benchmarking, and evaluation of monetary/non-monetary benefits offered by novel materials under development.
- Innovative mindset and passion to add value in an R&D environment to nurture and mature new ideas that can have a commercial impact.
- Effective stakeholder management and ability to work across multiple businesses and disciplines to coordinate and deliver activities.
- Inspiring, self-propelling, hands on, practical "can do" individual that is really challenged by failure and excited by progress and success.
- Excellent communication and team leading skills with "safety first" mind-set in lab operations.
- Flexibility, positive attitude & ability to deal with multiple competing priorities and tasks.
- Strong trouble-shooting skills & influencing skills.
- Take personal accountability to ensure timely delivery of the project.