Team Lead would lead TAO teams that (EMC, Basic Data, Planning & Scheduling) will provide Optimization support to the organizations to ensure production excellence. They will be expected to support a variety of process engineering activities at the site and identify margin opportunities, cost reductions, and optimize the operating units assigned to them. This can also include remote monitoring and process performance reporting for process units assigned. Purpose & Accountabilities
Team lead will be responsible for staff delivering below activities and Ensure all activities are conducted in accordance with agreed Health, Safety and Environment practices and procedures as outlined in the Asset Management System (AMS) Forecast Plan and Production (FPP) Procedures and Work Instructions.
Economics Model Coordinator:
- Directly supervise team of approximately 12 staff with final vision of eight SMEs when fully developed; direct staff could include team leaders during the transition period from implementation to development
- Collaborate with Business Management team and TBI on emerging opportunities and staffing options
- Work with recruiting and HR to develop a funnel of candidates
- Create a role progression plan including opportunities to advance into and out of roles in the TAO Optimization and Scheduling team
- Create an on-boarding and development plan including use of SME direct reports along with experts in the business. Longer term, ensure the reporting team can support development of new staff vs development by onshore teams
- Collaborate with the TBI and Business teams to understand and help co-create the Blue Sky Vision for the Optimization and Scheduling space and translate into suggestions on how to leverage the TAO team to deliver including development of new capabilities
- Work with the Operations Lead and the Deployment Leads in managing applicable migration (especially the new and complex ones) and to apply a strategic lens to set up the teams for long-term success
Support and maintain the basic data for all hydrocarbon management systems including but not limited to: Planning/LP Model (Aspen PIMS) Scheduling Systems (Aspen Petroleum Scheduler/Orion) Data generation system for PIMS/APS (CSi Crude Cutter, Flowsheets, and Unit Tracking; Unit Base+Delta models) Crude Intelligence (CSi Spiral Assay) Crude Acceptability Matrix (CAM) Visual Management Tools for Margin and Basic Data Basic Data:
- Basic Data comprises mass balance data, process unit yields/capacities, utility consumption, blending correlations and stream physical properties of a manufacturing site.
- Drive the basic data analysis (Collect, Track, Review, Generate) for site processing units (Distillation, Conversion, Treating, Blending).
- Work closely with the TAO Proactive Technical Monitoring (PTM) team and basic data focal point to assure valid plant data is collected.
- Use a combination of digital tools to accelerate data gathering and analysis.
- Seek to understand shifts in data fit including identifying potential operating issues by collaborating with technologists. Assurance with site team on Refinery Yield Accuracy (RYA) and trigger of offsets or model updates.
- Where not in place, develop and conduct analysis utilizing other planning tools such as APS (Orion) to identify potential data differences between LP, Scheduling, and actual site performance.
- Lead process of Generate new models if required with MSE/site assurance (and P&T).
- Act as local champion for Basic Data: maintaining the focus and ensuring priority is given by technical staff.
- Update planning and scheduling models with crude oil assay data consistent with information used by Trading for pricing
- Monitor qualities of crude oil cargoes received, feedback results to Crude Advisor and technologists then update scheduling model when changes will have significant impact.
- Act as focal point for collection of crude oil assay information and securing approvals for processing of new crudes nominated to the site by providing initial assessment via the Crude Acceptance Matrix (CAM).
- Serve as the custodian of the planning/PIMS/LP model (operational and long-term models), responsible for its integrity.
- Update planning model/s as necessary based on results of basic data analysis and additional inputs from economists.
- Incorporate new process models and validate. Assist with testing new models for site acceptance.
- Assure clean handoff of working model to crude economist for streamlined MOP cycle.
- Conduct pricing analysis reviews.
- Diagnose structural issues with the LP model and initiate development of solutions with Planning Advisor.
- Update scheduling/APS model/s as necessary based on results of basic data analysis and additional inputs from schedulers.
- Ensure consistency of units and streams with planning model. Enlist support of Scheduling Advisor as necessary.
- Use digital tools to import stocks/validate qualities.
- Bring crude/feedstock receipts and product movements from OMM/other systems into scheduling tool (APS/Orion) each workday and adjust crude tank compositions.
- Contact 24/7 site logistics operations as needed to clarify identified items.
- Issue a summary assurance report including identified issues for follow up by site scheduler/s.
- Assist in LP (PIMS) runs to assess site actual performance vs planned performance using the Margin Variance Analysis (MVA) process. Identify any pricing and obvious UPDT variances and flag for follow up.
- Provide support to economists in LP analysis, in particular develop/adopt techniques for post-mortem analysis and robust crude cargo analysis.
- Assists the economists in Monthly/Weekly Plan Handshakes, Crude Purchasing Nominations and Annual Business Plan activities.
- Develop and maintain report templates for PIMS/APS results to aid economists/schedulers in interpretation then communication with key stakeholders.
- Support for minor growth projects & initiatives.
- Assist with the continuous improvement and implementation of standardized work processes for basic data, crude intelligence, planning, and scheduling. Advance and support improvement in digital reporting and support digital efforts including potential creation of new Power-BI reporting visualization tools.
Skills & Requirements
- Maintain full history of Basic Data changes and updates to planning/scheduling model as well as securing LOD approval prior to implementation.
- Liaise with other Regional Basic Data and EMCs to share and adopt best practices and ensure consistency of approach.
- Participate and comply with all safety programs and stay current on mandatory training.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent.
- More than 10 years' experience in Oil and Gas industry is desirable with considerable experience as a Process Engineer and Economist.
- Suitable applicants may have a scheduling and/or a general refinery technology background with some knowledge of core refinery processes, and is able to understand the economics of these processes.
- Experience in refinery planning using LP models will be advantageous but not strictly required.
- Experience with Aspen tools (PIMS/Petroleum Scheduler) or equivalent is desired.
- A high level of comfort in using computer based tools as well as unit simulators. Advanced spreadsheet skill required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, analytical skills and attention to details are essential to build a strong team and working spirit within the team.
- Strong aptitude for Learner Mindset
- Flexibility to move quickly across changing priorities and manage multiple Projects/Programmes
- Ability to independently, resourcefully, and creatively research and implement new solutions
- A good understanding of the Upstream/DS/IG business and how it works.
- Ability to engage and effectively communicate at all levels inside and outside Shell and within different cultural settings.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to challenge and ability to build internal and external relationships based on trust and to integrate across multiple functions.
- Continuous Improvement