What's the role?
Shell invites petrophysicists and geomechanicists with M.Sc. or Ph.D. to apply for roles in exploration, production and New Energies. We are seeking junior and senior staff capable and interested in the application of petrophysics and geomechanics technologies in integrated global Shell projects. These range from fundamental research to well abandonment, and are rooted in our core activities:
1. Acquisition of high-quality rock and fluid property data in field and laboratory
2. Construction of fit-for-purpose models to describe the effect of production and injection on fluid and rock behavior in the reservoir and near the producer and injector wells
3. Calibration of these models to field data, and their application in forecasting production/injection
4. Integration of model results in business and operational decisions, driving value
Technical work can be broad and deep, depending on whether you will be stationed in one of our operating units (OUs) or in one of Shell's three technical centers (Houston, Amsterdam, Bangalore)Work in our OUs
includes preparation and execution of Value of Information exercises on borehole data acquisition, coring and fluid sampling, fracture gradient analysis, pore pressure prediction, wellbore stability, sand production, assistance with drilling and log data acquisition, log quality control, and processing, integration and analysis of borehole data to interpret petrophysical and mechanical properties of reservoir and overburden. You will be working closely together with well engineers and drillers.
In your role as operational Shell petrophysicist or geomechanicist, you will also:
Work in one of Shell's technical centers
- Own the data and make sure their implementation in static, dynamic and geomechanical models creates value (end-to-end engagement)
- Champion and seek applications for continued data acquisition over the life of the field (WRFM) to calibrate the models and to use them as Early Warning Systems (EWS) for early detection of non-conformance between field data and model results, and in that case
- Identify opportunities for intervention to optimize production and recovery of oil and minimize exposure to geomechanical risks.
can range from deep-technical to workflow and best-practice management. Fundamental research is ongoing in conventional and in New Energies, and includes rock mechanics experimentation on e.g., seal integrity during CO2 injection, technology development for Digital Rock and its application for rapid and cheap cutting and sidewall sample analyses, and software development for improved uncertainty analysis. Workflow management and guidance and implementation of Shell processes is rooted in Shell's aim to strive for safety and efficiency and our drive to act as a responsible operator and partner of choice in joint ventures and new businesses. Your work will contribute to the technical quality of Shell's projects, which is at the heart of Shells' reputation.What we need from you
- MSc or PhD in Petrophysics, Geomechanics, Petroleum Engineering, Math, Geology, Applied Geology or related field
- Demonstrated experience in Petrophysics - digital workflow
- Well logging/ Data acquisition and Operations/ Data processing and evaluation experience
- Affinity and interest in Geomechanics/ rock mechanics/ fluid mechanics/ rock physics
- Has demonstrated pro-active attitude to building effective relationships with stakeholders Passion for integrated work in multi-disciplinary teams
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don't feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.Company Description
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.