Shell Trading integrates a worldwide trading network with an unsurpassed global portfolio in Crude Oil, Refined Oil Products, LPG, Gas, Power & Environmental Products with larger locations in London, Houston, Calgary, Singapore, Dubai, Rotterdam, and Bahamas.
Shell Trading & Supply (T&S) is one of the world's largest energy traders and is a key segment of the Shell portfolio.
In line with Global Operations policies and guidelines, the Global Contract Team is part of Commercial Operations and provides a commercially driven service to the trading teams within T&S as well as being responsible for the overall management of the trading and sales contractual activities.Where you fit in
You will be working as a member of the Global Contracts Team. Global Contracts is an energetic and fast-paced evolving environment, where people are encouraged to play an active role in shaping the way the business is run, whilst adhering to the compliance framework across the business; as such, key to this posting is the ability to be flexible, adaptable, open-minded, goal-orientated, and control framework conscious. Some travelling might be required.What's the role?Purposes & Accountabilities
The Trading and Supply (T&S) Oil Contracts team provides a commercially driven service to the Crude, Products, LPG, Baseoils Chemicals, Bio-fuels and LNG trading teams for STASCO in London, SIETCO in Singapore, SITME in Dubai, Shell West in Barbados, Shell Trading Rotterdam BV (STR) in the Netherlands, STUSCO in North America, STRU in Russia and all parts of the Global Trading network (GTn).
In line with T&S policies and guidelines in respect of the oil/products business, the T&S Oil Contracts team is responsible for managing the entire oil contracts process including the provision of pre-deal and post deal commercial advice, contract drafting, internal authorization and dispatch of contracts/contract responses, records management, and commercial value driven advice to the business when negotiating complex contractual arrangements. The scope of the contracts support provided by STASCO specifically covers both spot and term sale and purchase contracts for crude oil, certain petroleum products, chemicals, storage contracts, derivatives, service level agreements (SLAs), letters of indemnity, transport contracts, and some of the related documentation for such contracts.
What we need from you
- Provide pre and post deal commercial advice to traders with respect to the commercial, contractual and financial risks associated with their business, identifying areas where there are opportunities for value creation as well as areas where the exposure to value leakage exists.
- Advise traders of the commercial and contractual risk associated with their business and ensure that contracts/agreements drafted are fit for purpose.
- Authorise outgoing contracts and responses to incoming contracts, before dispatch to the counterparty.
- Provide advice to the business when negotiating complex contractual arrangements/framework contracts/storage agreements etc.
- Acting as a first line of defence in Ensuring compliance with Shell's Control Framework, protecting Shell's license to operate by ensuring/verifying that all contracts comply with all local implementation policies, manual of authorities, business controls, Shell Group policy and standards as well as meeting all regulatory and regulated market requirements
- Provide advice and help in resolving contractual disputes with counterparties, liaising with corporate legal counsels as necessary.
- Maintain an awareness of any new trade opportunities and regulatory restrictions that may involve changes to existing procedures or support processes.
- Prepare and negotiate ad hoc agreements needed to facilitate new business and structured transactions.
- Assist in maintaining a contract and clause database, as well as manage an efficient status reporting mechanism.
- Reviewing and negotiating amendments to 3rd Party General Terms and Conditions.
- Assist in refining/revising current contracts processes in line with those of other functions (e.g. Settlements) to reduce profit leakage and ensure optimal efficiency.
The successful candidate must possess:
- Must have a good commercial mindset.
- Demonstrate effective negotiating skills and capable of managing the expectations of various stakeholders to a contract.
- Demonstrate a flexible approach and be commercially orientated with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must have the ability to prioritise workload while adhering to tight deadlines.
- Should be meticulous with a keen eye for detail.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Must have good interpersonal skills, able to communicate effectively with both internal and external customers/stakeholders.
- Must be highly organised
- Must have proven experience in energy /commodity trading or shipping environment in a commercial, operational, legal or paralegal/contract administration role.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don't feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.Company Description
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.