Where you fit in
This role is part of the Shell IT's Connectivity Portfolio team. The mission is to support projects with Design engineering capabilities.
The Design Engineer is expected to be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) covering the application of telecommunications and network technology deployed across the Shell Group. This covers all Shell's businesses, all Shell's location (offices, onshore plants, offshore plants, offices, trading floors, etc) and various types of projects including capital projects and IT projects.
The purpose of the design engineer role is to participate in larger projects or lead smaller projects and deliver the network elements in the project. The engineer will be the key person in the project for all telecom and network elements.What's the role?
Your key accountabilities as a Design Engineer are:
What we need from you
- Collect all requirements needed to produce the design by working with the project manager and relevant stakeholders known the location and business designing for.
- Apply the standards defined to create a design with all relevant details.
- Develop a deployment strategy together with the project manager and create an implementation plan which leads to a successful deployment of the produced design
- Knowledge sharing and drive continuous improvement across the community
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or equivalent work experience
- Extensive experience in leading and executing Telecoms project delivery, Telecoms operations, or IT consultancy assignments to design, develop and deliver viable network and telecom solutions, preferably in Oil and Gas or similar industry with offshore experience preferred
- Cloud AWS and Azure connectivity
- A high degree of technical network knowledge on traditional (IP) networks and Cloud
- Cisco certifications - Minimal CCNP routing and switching minimal
- Mastering OSI Model, TCP/IP protocol suite (IP, ARP, ICMP, TCP, UDP, SMTP, FTP, TFTP)
- Mastering Layer-2 Switching, VLAN's and Access-list
- Mastering WiFi, authentication, security technologies, Internet, IPSec, SDWAN, MPLS and Voice over IP (VoIP)
- Mastering IP v4 addressing and subnetting and routing concepts and skilled in IPv6
- Switches: Full configuration and VLAN setup on Cisco switches
- Router: Full configuration and monitoring of Cisco routers including VLAN's
- Telecoms Industry knowledge with extensive experience in Networks and Telecommunications, Testing and Commissioning
- Knowledge of environmental and electrical safety in hazardous (IEC EX) that impact design of telecoms systems used in process plants; Upstream / Downstream IT infrastructure and telecom solutions e.g. Process Control/SCADA, Safety Critical Elements
- Knowledge of project delivery methodology for managing both IT and Capital Projects in Oil and Gas
- Consistently delivered results in a matrix, global virtualized organization • Experience in negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Proven experience in stakeholder and relationship management including external vendors
- Ability to translate technical requirements and specifications into easily understood business concepts and vice versa
An innovative place to work
- Cisco certifications - preferred CCIE
- Python programming and app development skills for programmable networks
- Experience working in an (partially) outsourced environment
- Awareness of Agile and Scrum
- Service Management processes (Support Models, Service Level Management, Contract Management and Supplier Management)
- Experience in network operations
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.