Shell is making significant steps in the energy transition. The recently established Power Technology organisation drives energy transition through development and deployment of new power products. Together with our partners we develop cutting edge, competitive and scalable energy storage and integration technologies to enable a 24/7 renewable powered economy. Our storage and integration products aim to enable continuous use of renewable power, to manage energy expenses over time, to improve energy reliability and to decrease the strain on the grid.
System integration is not a systematic process. Its significant complexity and uncertainty requires hands on experience and detailed knowledge of electrical systems response behaviour across applications in various sectors (industry and mobility, a.o.). As the energy system will evolve to include large amounts of intermittent renewable energy, the ability to predict and control applications (e.g. storage, conversion, charging) is crucial to unlock flexibility and to keep decarbonised electricity systems safe, reliable and cost-competitive. Our team leverages a global technology perspective and footprint to accelerate and scale up Shell's decarbonisation solutions at home, on the road and at work. Where you fit in
As Senior Product Engineer Power Storage & Microgrids, you will develop and scale up Power Storage and Microgrid technology, tools and processes in Shell's key power markets. Our main goal is to enable deeper integration of renewable energy at competitive cost. Designing such systems requires detailed knowledge of electrical systems response behaviour in related applications (e.g. storage, conversion, charging). An integral safety design in all products and services, as well as in all experimental activities, is paramount to innovate towards these new solutions. You will report to the Team Lead Power Storage & Microgrids as part of the Energy Storage & Integration Technology department in Shell's Power Technology organisation.What is the role?
You will lead and support multiple technology and product development projects and serve as a subject matter expert on power systems (theory and modeling) including PV panels and installations, microgrids, inverters, grid forming technologies, etc. More specifically, in this role you will:
What will you bring to the role?
- Be a technology domain and/or project lead with natural teams of 3-8 members across Shell to develop and realise electrical system design for use in multiple sectors.
- Evaluate commercial readiness and potential of relevant technologies for different geographies through techno-economic and regulatory analyses.
- Accelerate maturation of inhouse and external technologies; piloting, demonstrating and deploying systems towards commercial scale.
- Building integrated power systems design (power, data, connectivity and functionalities required for delivery of the energy and services) and modeling (representing distributed generation, storage, distribution and transmission and multiscale loads).
- Optimising performance through hardware and control algorithms.
- Providing technical reviews for grid code compliance, power quality management and safety.
- Collaborating closely with application system design counterparts, as well as with the system software development partners.
- Maintaining/developing supplier network.
- Support deployment and scale up across key power markets with front-end technology inputs, technical assurance, and development releases.
- Support ongoing external technology collaborations.
- Develop and expand power laboratory capabilities and experimental procedures
- Drive product and process safety in development and deployment, raising safety awareness across our testing locations.
- Conduct technical reports, patent filings and contribute to publications.
- Represent Shell in relevant academic and industry platforms and present at conferences.
- Currently must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Electrical Engineering degree required (MS/PhD preferred)
- At least ten (10) track record in electrical system design or power system optimisation for renewable energy businesses under a variety of regulatory systems.
- Skilled in one or more of the following areas;
- Power systems and systems integration modelling capability (e.g., PSCAD, Matlab, Homer, Xendee)
- Electrical engineering software packages for RMS and EMT modelling (e.g. PSCAD, PSSe, DigSilent) and script-based automation of these (e.g. PYTHON).
- Power system design and engineering studies (e.g. dynamic, harmonic, transient, control stability, protection and control) throughout the life cycle of project development, execution, and operational phases.
- Power system component testing and hardware in the loop testing.
- Power electronics application (e.g. wind, solar, FACTS, HVDC, STATCOM) design, manufacturing, testing, commissioning and their interaction with power systems.
- Direct experience with laboratory setup and experimental techniques
- Demonstrated commitment to safety, health, and environmental considerations
- Experience in techno-economic analysis.
- Strong stakeholder and project management skills
- A team player that is comfortable in rapidly changing and challenging environments and actively leverages diversity to maximise impact.
- Working knowledge of intellectual property (IP) considerations
- MS/PhD or extensive working experience in Electrical Engineering or a related discipline. Additional commercial experience is a plus.
- You are fun to work with, keen to keep learning in a fast-evolving area and persistent towards your end goal.
Shell is strengthening its position as a leading energy company that will thrive in the transition and electrification of the global energy system. Alongside Shell's new vertical Renewables and Energy Solutions expanding its offerings to customers and businesses, Shell's Projects and Technology organization is supporting to buildout and assure new product lines by maturing key technologies There is a strong focus on the integration of renewable power across multiple technologies, such as solar PV, onshore and offshore wind, energy storage, as well as key power and heat loads, such as storage, industrial electrification, electrolyzes, EV chargers, aggregated building loads.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.