JOB TITLE: CP Lead Commercial & Innovation Insights
Our mission is to Power Progress by converting technology into value through connected, world-class supply chains and empowered commercial teams. In practice, this means we collaborate closely with our partners to identify & deliver new technologies for Shell.Where you fit
We are the commercial group for Shell's technology business, from strategy development to deal execution, and are fully embedded in their ways of working and natural teams. Commercially we adopt an investment mindset, and we ensure that our technology partnerships can manage technical and commercial risk to secure a competitive advantage for Shell.
It doesn't stop there; we also make sure that potential value turns into real value; whether that means ensuring Supply Chain Readiness for technology deployments across Shell assets or working with a commercial partner who can deliver for us and other customers.
All this means we need special people -flexible, commercially savvy, determined, collaborative, and open-minded with a passion for the Energy Transition. We are particularly active on Shell's Energy Transition Moonshots - Electrification of Demand, Nature-Based Solutions, Hydrogen and Circularity & BioProducts.
We are a diverse, global team, with people in Brazil, India, the Netherlands, Poland, the Philippines, and the USA.What's the role?
Your key accountabilities are as follows:
- Technology market research - Exploit market research databases, academic literature, and internal/external subject matter experts; process, synthesize and integrate diverse inputs to support an accurate, insightful and in-depth analysis. In limited instances, employ primary research methodologies to inform high value technology investment/deployment decisions. Outputs include commercial solution search, market size/segmentation, commercial benchmarking, tech SWOT, trend/driver analysis, taxonomy, commercial benchmarking, competitive landscape, customer value proposition, country analysis including regulations & policies review, candidate screening, etc.
- Patent landscaping - provide patent landscaping and patent information services utilizing patent databases and categorizing/analysing the results for identifying key technology areas for in-house development and competitor technology intelligence.
- Commercial decision framing support - Lead front end commercial support for technology business case, customer value proposition, partner strategy and selection, Buy-Collaborate-Build (BCB) decision, supply/value chain map & risk assessment, constructively challenging the business demand/practices in order to drive value and efficiency for the organization. Participate in decision framing sessions; clarify and refine core assumptions/hypothesis, capture data and knowledge gaps which require market research.
- Technology platform market domain expert - Support the Moonshot programs as front-end representative on market/commercial insights. Act competently as internal Subject Matter Expert for technologies markets, providing commercial challenge and guidance in the project. Champion the Self-Serve toolkit development and management to enable self-delivery of market scan projects. Provide guidance and trainings as needed to ensure delivery of high-quality results.
- Contracting Support - Support engagements with 3rd party providers for consulting and market research contracts. Review proposals, support contracting process, contractor relationship and contract management. Contract holder for third party market research contractors; proactively addressing and improving performance.
What we need from you
- Your stakeholder base will be global with key Interfaces being Technical Subject Matter Experts (SME's), Technology Commercial Community, 3rd party market consultants and database providers.
- Projects will span across multiple Technology areas including Moonshots.
- You will have schedule flexibility to manage interfaces across geographies, while maintaining a healthy work-life-balance.
- Minimum bachelor's degree, ideally in Marketing/Sales, Economics, Technical or Business Administration. Master's or PHD is preferred.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience.
- Excellent research skills, including experience with market and patent information using online databases and other online /web-based systems and analyzing such information. Comfortable with ambiguity and able to work with incomplete data or open-ended questions.
- Sound knowledge of patents and experience working with IP strategies and providing patent/information analysis support in respect of the execution of those IP strategies.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to frame decisions and information requirements.
- Ability to analyze data to draw conclusions, produce insights, recommend actions. Superior presentation skills with a keen eye for detail.
- Strong & proven project management skills, handling multiple concurrent projects and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to be an effective business partner, building trust and influencing across a variety of organizational levels within a virtual, global environment.
- Ability to lead and coach among peers, internal business partners, and external partners.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- A self-starter with high integrity, energy and enthusiasm.
- Passionate about energy transition and keen to learn about new Technologies, market developments and inferring the so-what and driving commercial value for Shell.
- A logical, analytical and creative thinker who learns quickly.
- Team player with a personal commitment to deliver high quality output.
- Eager to develop your skills in the role, through a combination of on-job and formal trainings.
- Continuous improvement and simplification mindset.