Advanced technology and new business models are disrupting the global energy system. Shell Ventures (SV) is at the forefront of these changes and aims to accelerate the energy and mobility transformation by investing in companies that lower emissions, electrify our energy system, help us gain data-based insights and provide innovative consumer solutions. Shell Ventures aspires to be more than an investor. Our strategy is to strengthen our position as a leading energy company by providing oil and gas and low-carbon energy as the work's energy system changes. Safety and social responsibility are fundamental to our business approach.What is the role?
Shell Ventures is more than a route for capital. We specialize in deployment and scaling-up, and have a team dedicated to implementation and deployment. We can offer companies access to technical and scientific expertise, research, and development facilities, and can assist with field trial pilots to further develop and demonstrate concepts. We also provide unique access to a global customer base and to an extensive supplier and contractor network.
Our investment strategy is to be a significant minority investor. A typical initial investment is $2 million to $5 million with a total of $15 million to $22 million invested over the lifecycle of an investment. We will lead or follow funding rounds, which means we actively form syndicates with other venture capital funds and corporate venturing teams. Maintaining excellent relationships with leading venture capital firms is paramount to our success, as they are an important source of high-quality deals. We continually build and activate our network to create the best opportunities for our portfolio companies, and we have experts in the most innovative business ecosystems across the globe.
Shell Ventures is looking for a seasoned Investment Partner
to lead our San Francisco team and become a member of our Ventures global leadership team. This team member has the primary responsibility of directing our investment activities on the US West Coast through building upon the strong foundation already created by the team in the San Francisco Bay Area. This is an end-to-end senior investment role which supports origination to execution to post-investment monitoring and implementation as part of the Board of Directors.Responsibilities:
What we need from you:
- As the Venture Partner, you would lead Shell Venture activities on the US West Coast including sourcing investment opportunities that have the potential to transform the energy, mobility and/or carbon markets
- In your professional capacity, you would enable the full life cycle of deals and implementations; this would include:
- sourcing investment opportunities
- validating, structuring, and supporting the implementation of appropriate cooperation opportunities
- managing post-close investments (eventual sale, IPO, or SPAC divestment) and
- supporting more complex distress cases
- You would act as a trusted advisor to the CEO and management team in your role as a Board Director by guiding and helping portfolio companies be successful throughout the various stages of their growth
- You would represent Shell Ventures in the Bay area through speaking at conferences, authoring thought-leadership pieces, hosting events, and engaging with media and contributing to the creation of industry and sector investment theses
- Inside the global Shell business, you would be cultivating a close working relationship with business stakeholders across the many lines of business to align strategy, investment, and implementation
- As the most senior professional on the US West Coast, you would be leading a team of five (5) investment professionals and would be an active member of the global Ventures leadership team
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of professional experience including a minimum of ten (10) year track record of success in Venture Capital in the Energy, Mobility, Environmental or the IT & Digital space
- Expert knowledge of all aspects of Venture Capital dealmaking from due diligence to deal structuring, negotiating key terms, legal documentation, and post-close deal management, including exits via public markets, mergers, or acquisitions
- Access to a network of successful founders and top-tier Venture Capitals in the San Francisco Bay area
- Broad experience as a Board Director at various companies in the start-up or scale-up phase having dealt with a wide range of events
- Experience in leading, developing, coaching, and influencing senior leaders to deliver outstanding results
The base salary range for this position is $240,000.00 - $346,000.00 per year. Individual pay will be based on various factors, such as relevant work experience, education, certifications, skill level, seniority, and internal equity.
Powering Progress sets out our strategy to accelerate the transition of our business to net-zero emissions. It is designed to create value for our shareholders, customers, and wider society. Powering Progress has four main goals in support of our purpose, to power progress together by providing more and cleaner energy solutions. It is underpinned by our core values and focus on safety.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.