Shell Trading and Supply is one of the largest energy traders in the world. It is a key business for the Shell group, closely connected to the Downstream and Integrated Gas businesses. Shell Trading and Supply has an integrated global portfolio of crude oil, LNG, refined products, natural gas, electrical power, chemical feedstocks, and environmental products. Based in various global offices including the UK, US, Australia, Singapore, Canada, The Netherlands, Brazil, China, Japan, Bahamas, Dubai, and Russia, and with over 7000 employees, Shell Trading and Supply trades on average over 12 million barrels of crude and oil products and 5 million barrels of oil equivalent in natural gas and power each day. Shell Trading and Supply is also Shell's centre of expertise for Shipping and Maritime matters. It provides commercial, ship management and technology services for the group, and is responsible for ensuring that all of the Group's global maritime activities are safely managed. In addition, Trading and Supply has more than 240 oil and LNG vessels on time charter and there are 1,000 vessels associated with Shell on the water on any given day. Job Purpose
To provide professional, timely, cost-effective and practical legal advice and support to Trading and Supply's Shipping and Maritime business and the freight desks within Trading and Supply. The position also provides legal support to other parts of the Shell Group which have a maritime component as part of their scope.What's the role?
We'll entrust you to:
- Work independently
- Provide sound, timely, and commercially effective legal advice for Shipping and Maritime under supervision of Managing Counsel Shipping.
- Proactively identify legal risks and alternative strategies in a defined area.
- Work on a range of both contentious and non-contentious matters in the shipping and chartering sphere
- Ensure documents reflect accurately commercial decisions, at all times consistent with legal obligations and the Shell Control Framework.
- Represent Shell vis-a-vis third parties.
- Be able to work as part of a team and with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Assist and support the Shell Litigation Team regarding the background and business dimensions in contentious proceedings (litigation, arbitration, mediation) involving shipping matters.
What we need from you
- USD 100-500 mln. annual business activity. This individual must be strategic (flexible and able to prioritize) with respect to supporting a dynamic shipping business within Shell Trading and Supply. A fast-paced environment, innovative business development teams and the challenges arising as the Shipping business and freight desks continue to adapt to changing industry and regulatory environments will require that this individual is flexible, willing to learn, and able to work under pressure as operational issues demand.
- Daily and often time-critical interaction with clients and colleagues based in different countries and time zones and occasional travel will also be required.
- The successful candidate will be based in Shell Centre near Waterloo on a hybrid work basis.
You must be or have:
Key Competences Required
- In depth understanding of the main legal areas relevant to shipping and maritime law including working knowledge of charterparties, bills of lading, cargo claims, demurrage, vessel management agreements, issues arising in the context of oil spill response. Recent litigation experience in these areas is desirable although transactional lawyers with a ship finance background will also be considered.
- Ability to draft with appropriate understanding and interpretation of the commercial intentions.
- Some exposure to international civil and/or common law contracts and knowledge of physical commodity trading business.
- Ability to work on a number of issues in parallel.
- Ability to develop and sustain relationships with clients at all levels and in a range of cultures.
- Ability to understand and take account of business drivers and needs.
- Able to give clear exposition of a legal issue and to provide succinct accurate and comprehensible legal advice.
- Knowledge and experience to identify critical Legal risks.
- Attention to detail, autonomous and hands on.
- Strong academic background and capable of applying jurisprudence in real situations.
- Influencing, negotiating and facilitation skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and good drafting skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Qualified to practice as a solicitor or barrister in a common law jurisdiction.
- An individual who is self-motivated, self-directed, able to prioritise workload and to work both independently and as a member of a team, while at the same time knowing when to seek advice from his or her line manager or more senior colleagues.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don't feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.Company Description
- Apply commercial judgment in Legal - Skill
- Enable effective governance -Skill
- Identify legal risk - Skill
- Facilitate negotiation and conflict resolution - Skill
- Provide sound legal advice - Skill
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.