Overall Purpose of the Role:
To collect and analyses data and information in order to estimate costs associated with manufacturing a product/contract & services. Works proactively towards cost target objectives in collaboration with others. Key Responsibilities:
General and Task Management
- Determine cost estimate targets during the design and development process, recommending cost effective solutions.
- Gather proposals, specifications and related documents and liaise with stakeholders in order to convert specifications to cost estimates for new and current products
- Utilize cost methodologies and tools and appropriate software models and packages to prepare and maintain reliable and accurate data
- Establish cost estimates of production processes and tooling costs and review alternatives or put forward recommendations for improvement
- Assess cost effectiveness of products and track actual costs relative to budget and report status on a regular basis to ensure costs are in line with forecasts
- Monitor and review data and information to detect or assess problems
- Investigate and identify cost reduction opportunities through cost analysis review
- Contribute to cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures and monitor trends
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements, reports and other necessary documentation at regular intervals to share with others in the business
- Support all activities in cost estimating and take a proactive approach towards improvements
- Liaise with stakeholders and support management decisions by providing appropriate cost information and data
- Provide cost estimates during change process and advise of cost impact of changes. Track and monitor activity
- Work with stakeholders to ensure estimates are accurate and to make appropriate adjustments and resolve issues
- Analyze supplier quotes and provide information and data, which aids communications with suppliers and customers and achieves cost optimization.
- Ensure supplier quotations meet 'should cost' estimates
- Support supplier meetings and negotiations to challenge quotation prices and aim for cost reductions to meet target costs
- Support and utilise experience to aid best practice in the supplier process in conjunction with members of the purchasing team
- Liaise with purchasing department to provide continued feedback to ensure competitive pricing
- Adhere to any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of self, staff and visitors.
- Assertive, resilient and welcomes change
- Engages interest and participation of others and has a collaborative approach to working with others
- Proactively contributes to the team
- Actively committed to team development
- Is self-aware and optimistic
- Shows moral courage, openness and honesty in all dealings
Skills and Attributes:
- Good communication skills with the ability to form and maintain good relationships internally and externally
- Good interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills
- Commercially and financially aware
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong technical mindset and able to read and interpret technical data and translate to others
- Highly numerate with the ability to research, assemble manage and manipulate numerical information
- Knowledge of estimating techniques
- Results orientated and organised with the ability to deliver against deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Project management skills
Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Relevant business/commercial or manufacturing/engineering degree
- Previous experience of cost estimating, ideally in manufacturing or engineering environment
- Good IT systems knowledge and skills including advanced Excel skills
- Ideally experienced in the use of spreadsheets, estimating pricing models and cost management tools
- Able to show evidence of adding value and cost optimisation
- Knowledge and understanding of a variety of manufacturing
- processes and components and ability to evaluate and analyse associated costs
- Membership of an appropriate professional body would be advantageous
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.