The world is changing fast, and Shell is changing, too - not only to keep up with the external pace, but also to anticipate and shape a different future. The new integrated Corporate Relations function will deliver value by supporting our strategy (coined Powering Progress  ) and sectoral approach and improving policy and advocacy outcomes. We will bring the outside in and secure and drive Shell's reputation and values. Drawing on a strong base of professional excellence, we aspire to be best-in-class at achieving integrated outcomes through effective engagement and communication with external and internal stakeholders.About the Policy and Advocacy (P&A) Organisation
In support of Shell's strategic ambition, a centralized (i.e., global) P&A team has been established within the Corporate Relations function. While most P&A work is conducted at country level, the central P&A team is responsible for setting policy positions, supporting the local teams in positioning these in a local context. In addition to this, issues which require global or cross-country advocacy; and the prioritisation and decisions around global platforms and partnerships for policy advocacy purposes are the responsibility of the central P&A team.
Success in delivering P&A outcomes requires Shell to have clear and granular policy objectives, identify the key stakeholders, influencers and communications channels and understand, through rigorous measurement, where we are succeeding in changing the political and societal narrative and delivering policy outcomes. Given the changing external environment, it is imperative to ensure consistency of principles, approach, and representation across Shell.
About the External Environment
- Tactics: The central P&A unit concentrates on 1) policy making outcomes, 2) bringing together expertise across businesses and functions and 3) utilizing more sophisticated approaches to advocacy including leveraging integrated campaigns aimed at a range of stakeholders.
- Strategy: The central P&A unit is a strategic partner to the business and develops the policy and advocacy, and, in concert with Communications, the reputation-building programmes required to deliver Shell's strategic objectives: 1) thrive through the energy transition, 2) support a world class investment case, and 3) deliver a strong societal license to operate.
Numerous gaseous vectors (i.e., energy carriers such as natural gas, biomethane, hydrogen, ammonia, synthetic gases) power economic sectors and drive vast value chains  . The variability in the potential and cost of these vectors to drive decarbonization cannot be understated (see all shades of green, yellow, and red in the first  and second  figures respectively). This role requires that you demonstrate a desire to learn and expand fundamental knowledge of how natural gas (fossil-based) yields socioeconomic added value and complements least-cost reduction of emissions along the sprawling value chains encompassing all gases.Where you fit in
The Integrated Gas, Renewables and Energy Solutions (IGR&ES) P&A team is primarily accountable for the delivery and execution of the Group policy and advocacy strategy in support of the IGR&ES business. This includes a variety of activities covering policy development, external representation, and reputation management. Reporting to the P&A Gases Lead, the focus of this role is to develop policy positions and advocacy options to support Shell's natural gas business objectives. Powering Progress - transitioning to net-zero emissions | Shell Global Natural gas dependence and risks to euro area activity (europa.eu) WEF_Net_Zero_Challenge_The_Supply_Chain_Opportunity_2021.pdf (weforum.org) p. 15 WEF_Net_Zero_Challenge_The_Supply_Chain_Opportunity_2021.pdf (weforum.org) p. 14What's the role?
Successful candidate will be accountable for the following:
What we need from you?
- Policy: Conduct policy analysis and contribute to the development of positions to support the natural gas business based on analysis of the business strategy and external policy environment in order to provide high quality, incisive, and business focused P&A expertise to support effective decision-making.
- External Landscape: Support efforts to position Shell as a credible partner to external stakeholders. Understand and summarise reports, events and viewpoints from key governmental institutions, political groups, think-tanks, NGOs business partners and academics. Rapidly determine how those views should influence Shell's policy development and advocacy strategies.
- Reputation: Support the wider team with delivering events and thought leadership
We are keen to hear from candidates with proven work experience in policy analysis or advocacy. Experience with natural gas is an advantage.
We would also like to see the following on your CV:
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills.
- Some knowledge of the gas business.
- Knowledge of EU, Asia Pacific, or Middle East & North Africa (MENA) gas policies. Knowledge of macroeconomics or sustainable finance is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to map a network of stakeholders and desire to build trusted relationships internally and externally yielding for Shell the status of a trusted advisor
- Desire to translate business objectives into engagement strategies and to lead execution of plans
- Self-starter showing high degree of personal initiative and capable of handling different tasks in parallel
- Experience working with external stakeholders including policy makers, NGOs, academics, civil society, technical organisations preferred
- Experience managing interfaces with internal client base
- Support safety as well as ethics and compliance training and culture in the organisation
We are keen to support flexible working arrangements, subject to local regulations and legislative frameworks. If this is of interest to you, please describe in your application the type of flexible working arrangements for which you would like to be considered (e.g., part-time, job share). More about Shell in The Netherlands
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part. An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.