We live in a very complex world and in Shell R&D Lubricants and Fuels we work on many different projects across a wide range of timeframes, from supporting the delivery and deployment today of advanced fuels & lubricants (such as V-Power, FuelSave, Helix, Pennzoil, Rotella, Rimula, Tellus, Spirax, Omala, Turbo, Gadus and more) to longer term research in alternative energies, e-fluids and e-mobility applications. PTX/T is the most exciting place to work in Shell, as we evolve to continue to support our key "Growth Business" partners (Global Mobility, Global Lubricants, Sectors & Decarbonization, and more across the DS), throughout this exciting and fast-moving transition period for fuels, lubricants and the energy transition. Read more and join us on this ambitious journey.
Reporting to the Delivery Manager Future Fuels, the primary purpose of this role is to carry out research and development in the area of automotive fuels. Emphasis is placed on developing and nurturing an understanding of the scientific and mechanistic aspects of work undertaken and the generation of intellectual property. Scientists need to be familiar with the basic science and engineering underlying most phenomena occurring during the application and fate of fuel in engines and ideally have expert knowledge of a relevant part of it. This knowledge is applied in a pragmatic and numerate way, with the aim of gaining clearer insights, developing improved prediction of performance, and most importantly identifying opportunities for innovation and commercialization of technology. Potential candidates may be engaged in fundamental studies in gasoline, diesel or alternative fuel research and are expected to have excellent intellectual analytical skills, the ability to identify the important features in complex situations, and the enthusiasm to progress their insights.
Where you fit in-
Be a part of a team that looks for concepts to make our existing fuels better performing and surpassing the products our friendly competition offers in the market.
Help us on our challenging journey to make these fuels with a low carbon intensity footprint to allow Shell to be one of the big contributors of one of the most demanding challenge in our time -More but cleaner Energy for Humanity.
Despite a strong growth in battery vehicles in some part of the world classical combustion engines will be the dominant part of mobility at least in the next decades and will continue to be important even beyond that in many parts of the world
Help us to find climate neutral solutions to power these engines, grow your shelve with the complexity of the task as multiple aspects besides technology play a role here e.g. policy and advocacy, customer acceptance, governmental legislation, worldwide energy production and consumptions patterns and others.
Learn and use new management and brainstorming skills like agile ways of working and design thinking to help you with the challenges described above. Become part of a well-connected team l that works with multiple stakeholder inside and outside Shell to help humanity with these challenging effort.
What's the role -
- Develop new fuels additives and components via a process of screening, formulation & demonstration of benefits
- Develop improved formulation & demonstration tools which are more rapidly responsive, and more representative of future technologies
- Develop & maintain a deep knowledge of the fuel development process and translate this understanding into opportunities for faster and more efficient deployment of fuels technology
- Generate IP to support new/existing products & ensuring all appropriate intellectual property is duly protected
- Ensure project delivery to budget and stakeholder satisfaction in own areas of responsibility
- Deliver credible technology planning and output at highest quality and deliver on promises against challenging time and cost/budget constraints in relevant area
- Use excellent report writing skills for writing and peer reviewing Fuels reports. This will include the authoring and presentation of external papers where required
- Being creative and innovative in problem solving and driving opportunities for the commercialization of new technology
- Develop own competencies and helping others within the team to develop theirs
- Harvest ideas from external institutions
- Technical and leadership coaching of junior team members for experienced Fuels Scientists
- Ensure connectivity between other Innovation areas in order to leverage creativity, knowledge and expertise
- Improve time to market for Innovation and leverage Continuous Improvement methodologies to achieve this
What we need from you -
- A legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Upper Second-Class Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or Chartered Engineer (or equivalent) in Automotive Engineering with at least five (5) years' experience relevant experience in Fuel, Fuels Additives and Fuel applications or the willingness and demonstrated capability to build up expert knowledge in this area and in alternative fuels
Specific skills and experiences must include:
- Significant R&D experience
- Knowledge of Fuel, Fuels Additives and Fuel applications or the willingness and demonstrated capability to build up expert knowledge in this area and in alternative fuels
- Prior experience of the delivery of project-based activities in a research and development environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams and ability to work in a multi-discipline team, spread over different locations, operating to demanding technical targets and deadlines
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong business focus, ensuring solutions are pragmatic, cost-effective and viable
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in among other exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of oil products, chemicals, electric power, renewables and energy solutions.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards f performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential...
We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment processes, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.