Where you fit in
Shell aims to significantly reduce its Carbon footprint and has recently raised its ambitions to be a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050 or sooner. Renewables & Energy Solutions (RES) and Shell Energy Trading (SET) have jointly developed an Integrated Power+ Strategy that will enable Shell ambitions in reducing its Carbon footprint and in becoming the leading Energy player in the World.
As an integral part of the Integrated Power+ Strategy, SET and RES have the ambition to substantially grow its European B2B Gas and Power and lower carbon solutions business across European countries.
This is an exciting time to join the European team as we embark on a new strategic phase, launching our new Purpose and Vision and a huge program of work, with goals and objectives set to direct the business for the next five years. RES & SET believe in creating an inclusive culture and work environment where you can thrive, innovate and develop; but most of all be yourself.
The team is expected to grow to 5 members by the end of 2024 and it is part of the Deal Structuring and Quant Analytics department, benefitting from being part of the quantitative community within SET. The B2B Valuation & Modelling team will be at the forefront of building and maintaining Power Pricing Models for RES B2B sales portfolio, providing the interface to SET Traders, RES Supply and Portfolio and Local Pricing teams.
The business has the ambition to develop and build a solid B2B customer portfolio across all European country operations.
What's the role?
- Translating policies set by RES Market Risk team and implementing into Pricing Models.
- Calibrating Pricing Models and developing a pricing engine
- Breaking down and defining standard and non-standard offerings and providing valuation for respective buckets.
- Identifying and quantifying the market realities, embedded optionality, and risks inherent in the transactions initiated by the Deal Makers.
As a B2B Quantitative Developer, you will be part of the newly established B2B Valuation & Modelling team reporting in to the B2B Valuation & Modelling Manager, which is key to the growth ambitions in capturing more and new opportunities in the B2B power markets, whilst monitoring and managing its performance. You would be expected to deliver models and tools as required to support the RES B2B Portfolio Optimisation, Pricing team and SET Traders, as well as providing guidance on best practice for models and tools.
What we need from you
- Work with the B2B Quantitative Analyst to lead the optimisation, automation and put into production the prototype code by gathering detailed technical/functional model requirements and generating model specification documents.
- Longer term develop and maintain with the B2B Quantitative analyst a pricing engine to price and manage risk associated with B2B contracts, in particular volume risk, optionality, shape & imbalance costs for multiple European power markets
- Where necessary work with Traders, RES Local Pricing teams and Supply & Portfolio teams to understand the business process and needs; design the technical concept and develop high quality software within agreed timescales.
- Prepare release notes and operational handover documents
- Support backtesting, calibrations, maintenance and use of these Pricing models
- Work with the B2B Quantitative Analyst and the central Quantitative Analytics Team to lead the deployment and maintenance of B2B pricing models in a centralised quantitative library, adhering to existing framework and coding standards
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don't feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.Company Description
- Postgraduate education or equivalent
- Proven track record of software development practices in a commercial environment
- Substantial programming experience in Python and other high level programming languages (i.e. C#, C++) is essential
- Experience in EU power markets is highly desirable
- Fundamental understanding of mathematical finance, statistics and optimisation
- Experience of SQL and business reporting dashboard tools such as MS Power BI and Spotfire etc is not essential but would be highly desirable
- Proficiency in communicating modelling methodology and explaining results
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong analytical skills and a commercial mind-set.
- Proven ability to work independently and within a complex team and regions.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.