Shell has important decisions to make to pivot the business through a period of great transformation in the way we power the world. This role is perfect for someone who is passionate about applying cutting-edge statistics and data science towards Powering Progress - accelerating the transition of Shell's business to net-zero emissions.Where you fit in
You'll be joining our Statistics team, part of Shell's 'Computational Science and Digital Innovation' organization. You'll contribute to robust decision making under uncertainty by being part of multidisciplinary organization applying statistics, optimization and simulation expertise to a wide range of problems at strategic, tactical and operational levels.What's the role?
As a Statistician, you will be contributing to high potential digital innovation projects on a wide variety of applications, using your in-depth knowledge about statistics and data science technology. You will thrive on providing insights and advice backed by solid data and statistical analysis; whilst working in interdisciplinary teams to solve problems across different lines of business.
This role involves contributing to projects of both R&D and consultancy nature throughout the project's development cycle. This means you will contribute to translating business problems into mathematical terms, developing the end-to-end modelling approach, and communicating the results and their meaning back to stakeholders.
You will thrive on providing a structural approach to the development of early-stage digital products, ensuring best use of available data, mathematical and statistical methods, optimization and machine learning methods.
More specifically, your role will include:
What we need from you
- Contributing hands-on to statistics and data science project development
- Assisting clients to frame their business problems - breaking them down into manageable analytical tasks based on their end goal and the data and resources available. This involves learning the drivers and language around wide variety of application domains in Shell. Examples include production process optimization, asset maintenance, modelling world energy supply and demand, scheduling and logistics, product development
- Documenting and presenting outcomes to provide advice and support to business stakeholders in their decision making
- Making use of your network to promote Statistics (and related disciplines: Data Science, Machine Learning, Operations Research) within and outside of Shell
- Keeping up to speed with the latest techniques in Statistics through on-the-job and course-based learning
- Proactively seeking out new opportunities for statistics expertise to bring value in line with business plans
Your capability to represent complex business problems in mathematical terms will be key for success in this role.
Furthermore, you should have/be:
- Masters or PhD degree (preferred) in quantitative subjects like Physics, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Data science, Computer Science etc.
- Strong technical skills and hands-on experience in the fields of statistics/data science
- An ability to communicate complex information to an audience with technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for promoting statistics to a wider audience
- Comfortable in an early-stage development (research) environment and experience working on projects with diverse stakeholders
- Strong programming skills in R and/or Python; maintaining high standards of digital quality assurance. Experience using SAS, JMP also beneficial
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation and life experiences to apply.Company Description
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice. We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.