What is the role?
The list below is intended to provide a brief glimpse of the day-to-day activities and highlight the key areas of proficiency (strong business understanding, ability to navigate systems, managing stakeholder relationships and key technical skills) that would help the analyst succeed in the role.
The analyst is expected to:
- Understand key P&L drivers and articulate strategy-based P&L commentary whilst demonstrating a commercial understanding of the business
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of Mark-to-Market (MtM) curves & methodologies and assist the team in ensuring the curves are correctly loaded in the trading systems
- In case of trading system curve errors, liaise with business users and technical support to identify, analyze and resolve issues (ad hoc)
- Understand trading account structure, exposures and P&L generated by different transaction types in the book
- Prepare monthly trade performance slide packs for Regional/Global Heads of the Commercial Business.
- Provide ad-hoc analysis by running queries into the Trading Risk databases
- Monitor exposure limits daily within the Trading Control Framework and Manual of Authorities (MOA)
- Ensure activities are carried out with safety awareness and are performed in compliance with external regulation, the Shell Control Framework, SOX & Financial Reporting requirements, and Shell Trading mandate and policies
- Liaise with business users and technical support to identify, analyze and resolve application issues
- Work closely with the STM/OM to help them carry out daily risk reporting/execute projects. Most projects are likely to come in with short deadlines- the candidate is expected to lead the project while keeping a tab on the on-time delivery of scheduled tasks
Experience and Qualifications:
- Balancing the reporting requirements on multiple businesses covering varied commodity types in different geographies/markets
- Coming to terms with the complex system landscape: the candidate is expected to be comfortable with established ETRMs as well as future upgrade projects that may require some time be devoted to work with other stakeholders in development/implementation of new software solutions
- Maintaining quality relationships and engagements with key business stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate data
- Understanding the numbers and convincingly explaining the 'story behind them' demonstrating and appreciation for trading strategies and risk payoffs
- Exploring opportunities to continuously improve tools and process
- Given how the business is growing, the candidate is asked to be flexible in terms of work scope. The role will become increasingly challenging and in-depth with every new activity rolled out
- The NA products team typically works in afternoon shift. The individual will need to be able to work extended hours if job requires due to monthly/quarterly close, new requirements/ critical project delivery timelines or unforeseen events. The candidate should be comfortable in working in these shifts
- Meet the requirements of Market Risk's steep learning curve and emerge as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in for the business. The candidate will be expected to train and socialize the learnings other members in the team and actively facilitate onboarding of new members.
Other preferred qualifications include:
- A Bachelor's degree graduate or with an MBA with more than 4 years' experience in Market risk / Trading
- The ideal candidate will be highly numerate, logical, can prioritize and multi-task, and is comfortable working in teams
- A good understanding of Commodity Markets (crude oil/ oil products/ LNG/ natural gas/ power experience is welcome) business and/or familiarity with spot price assessments, forward curve methodologies, swap markets, and basics of options would be valuable
- Risk Management knowledge (demonstrate knowledge of different types of VaR, stress testing, sensitivity analysis, basis risk, volume risk, currency risk)
- Strong computing skills (Excel, programming, VBA) and analytical abilities
- Strong analytical skills (details & accuracy-oriented mindset)
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Experience/ understanding of Risk Management systems (Openlink Endur, FIS Aligne) and ability to identify deal changes related to fees would be a strong plus.
- Working knowledge of SQL /Oracle
- Working knowledge of Qlikview - create new visualizations and drill down information for detailed analysis - is preferred
- Demonstrates a proven record in handling tools such as Alteryx, Python, Spotfire, Power BI.
- Experience in Six-Sigma and/or other problem-solving methodologies to drive continuous improvement
- Experience with risk analysis, Value-at-Risk, financial derivatives, or physical energy markets would be a plus
- Ability to work with cross-functional work group
- Ability to drill down into complex data and must have a keen eye for details
- Creativity in problem solving