Overview / Responsibilities
Wood currently has a leadership opportunity seeking a Manager, Substation Electrical Engineering (US)
located in one of the following locations; Vancouver BC, Calgary AB, Atlanta GA, or West Palm Beach FL. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, Power Solutions, this role supports and assures delivery excellence for the US utility-focused Substation Electrical team and is responsible for functional management and development of the discipline resources and governance of the discipline design practices and procedures.
As the Manager, Substation Electrical Engineering (US), you will lead and provide functional oversight to the Electrical Engineering team, ensuring high-quality performance and delivery of all discipline design work. You will play a key role in promoting and upholding the Company's values and behaviors, modeling a strong commitment to safety and ethics, and fostering an inclusive and supportive work environment. Your leadership, experience, and dedication will inspire your team to achieve exceptional results and continuous improvement.
This is a key role on our leadership team. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you. Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Skills / Qualifications
- Lead and develop the Electrical Engineering team, providing functional oversight of all discipline engineering performance
- Line Management of direct reports, including setting goals and objectives; salary reviews, performance reviews, career progression, mentoring, training, and development.
- Manage workload forecasting, and engineering resource planning and grow the team through active recruiting and hiring
- Identify team competency gaps and implement remediation strategies.
- Build an inclusive team culture that values diverse perspectives and promotes continuous improvement
- Understand and enforce existing Wood processes and procedures, while providing input for improvement. Assist in creating new procedures where required. Embed progressive learning within the team
- Support technical assurance activities, including project quality audits and issue resolution.
- Provide input to proposals and projects regarding resources, strategies, technical content, and execution effort
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university and the ability to register as a Professional Engineer in the United States and/or Canada
- At least 10 years of high voltage substation electrical design experience for power utilities or independent power producers, with US power utility design experience considered an asset.
- Experience leading and managing a team a distributed team
- Experience interfacing design with other substation engineering disciplines such as structural and protection & control
- Thorough understanding of regulatory codes and standards, including NEC, NESC, and ANSI / IEEE
- Strong leadership and relationship-building capabilities, along with excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Knowledge of project management, quality management, human resources practices, financial and other administrative principles and practices
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational, team building, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills, along with excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.