Shell Trading integrates a world-wide trading network with an unsurpassed global portfolio in crude oil, refined products, natural gas, LNG, power, environmental products and freight . As the world's largest energy trading business, Shell Trading is a key segment of the Shell portfolio, leveraging scale, global reach, and financial strength to compete strongly and continue to grow in the evolving energy trading market.
With trading volumes of about 14 million barrels of crude oil equivalent per day, this organization has the skill base, dedicated staff and international scope to capitalize on trading opportunities inherent in Shell's asset and market positions around the world. Member companies of the Shell Trading Network are located in North and South America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. What's the role?
The Trader Development Programme is a unique opportunity for high calibre candidates to go through a two - four year structured program to become a trader. No prior experience in trading is necessary, however, some years of experience is required as the programme will be tailored based on prior experience and can be accelerated for those with some relevant skillset. Typically, rotations will include trading operation, risk analysis and market analysis. Towards the end of the programme it will cover paper and physical trading under supervision. Progress will be assessed and monitored through regular assessment by trading management. Support will be provided through on the job training and mentoring by senior trading staff as well as regular training courses.
The accountabilities will depend on the particular rotation, some examples below:
What We Need From You
- Scheduling ship operations, communicating and aligning with various internal and external stakeholders such as inspectors, shipowners, trading counterparties
- Gain in depth understanding of various risk in trading, including market risk, counterparty and operation risk and how to best manage and mitigate those risks
- Gain in depth understanding of commodity markets, learn tools and techniques how to study each market and how to translate analysis views into trading positions
- Closely work with Shell assets to maximize value along the whole value chain
- Work closely with other parts of the global team on arbitrage opportunities
- Learn how to execute both physical and paper trades under supervision of senior traders
- Learn how to create trading strategies and how to build trading structures
An innovative place to work
- Bachelor's Degree or higher level of education required.
- Highly numerical, strong analytical and problem-solving aptitude.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet tight deadlines
- Self-starter with excellent computer skills.
- Ambitious, driven, self-motivated individual who functions well in a team environment
- Ability to work with incomplete information, to form market views and take educated risks
- Strong resilience to be able to deal with emotional ups and downs of a trading role
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently. An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.