What is the role
Primary responsibilities are to support Shell Energy origination and trading businesses and Shell Renewable and Energy Solutions related businesses through external advocacy for competitive markets, communicating regulation changes and impacts to commercial teams, facilitating commercial transactions within existing regulations and managing compliance obligations and reporting in the ERCOT Region.
Specific duties will include:
- Support Shell Energy's ERCOT Region regulatory initiatives, providing information and advice that are aligned with commercial priorities among trading, origination, and environmental products. Support other regions where necessary and contribute to corporate market design discussion and development.
- Follow and participate in developments before Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT), Texas legislative proceedings, and other regulatory or government agencies that affect gas and power marketing and trading activities and report on such developments to relevant groups within the company.
- Monitor and participate in stakeholder processes for ERCOT independent system operator, provide Shell Energy and Renewable and Energy Solutions (R&ES) businesses with information about rule changes and other developments that impact company positions or operations.
- Participate in trade associations to assist in deriving benefits from memberships, such as leveraging access to information and supporting advocacy efforts.
- Coordinate development of and work with others to provide regulatory training.
- Review and coordinate with state agencies for operational and compliance issues
- Review rules affecting implementation of projects being evaluated
- Work with state agencies to register new projects to enable participation in ERCOT market
- Monitor and analyze wholesale electricity market design changes, including reviewing ERCOT protocols, and provide input on suggested improvements
- Prepare reports responding to inquiries from ERCOT, other RTO/ISOs, and regulatory or government agencies.
- Model or support modeling that will estimate the market impacts of projected structural and regulatory market design changes in RTO/ISOs.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor's degree required or higher, Electrical Engineering or Economics preferred
- 5 or more years of relevant experience
- Must effectively operate within a challenging and dynamic work environment including managing a wide spectrum of energy issues and supporting group efforts on others
- Must have fundamental understanding of regulatory processes and strong writing skills.
- Experience in modeling related to RTO/ISO market design and rule changes is highly desirable
- Strong personal relationship and communications skills are necessary and must be able to effectively coordinate with colleagues
- Ability to understand impacts of government policies on business and compliance activity and communicate the same to commercial groups and make recommendations on how to respond.
- Technical and/or commercial understanding of retail and wholesale power markets (gas and carbon product market is a plus); appreciation of license to operate concerns and compliance.
- The role is based in Austin.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently. An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.