Digital technologies are transforming our lives in ways that were unimaginable even a decade ago. Similarly, digitalization is rapidly transforming the energy industry , by improving efficiency and safety as well as facilitating the use of renewable energy.
Anticipating these monumental changes to the energy industry, Shell launched its Digital Strategy in 2017. To support the Digital Strategy, the Digital Center of Excellence, known today as the Computational Science and Digital Innovation Department ("CSDI"), was created in 2018 with a vision to "deliver digital innovation to accelerate our transition to net-zero emissions, Powering Progress for Shell."
CSDI consists of data scientists, technology and business analysts, project managers, and design thinking experts who were challenged to explore the intersection between energy and digital technology and to help solve one of the biggest challenges of our times: the Energy Transition. CSDI members are primarily located in four Shell Hub Locations: Amsterdam, London, Houston, and Bangalore. CSDI covers a broad range of technologies, including Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, Internet of Things, Data and Computational Science, and High-Performance Computing.Our Team
As a result of the rapid development of strategic, conceptual, and technical capabilities within the CSDI, coupled with a myriad of continuously evolving legislative and regulatory issues, Shell Legal established a dedicated Digital Legal Capability Team in 2017. This Team was initially part of the Legal IT organization within the Projects & Technology Legal Department.
In recognition of the increasing generation of value within CSDI through the implementation and commercialization of Digital Technologies, and the heightened need for Legal support in projects that often flowed in unchartered waters, an independent Legal Digital Center of Excellence Team ("LDCoE") was created in 2020, reporting to the Managing Counsel -Legal Digital Center of Excellence.
The LDCoE is a global team with a presence in Amsterdam, Kuala Lumpur, Houston and London, designed to (virtually) mirror the CSDI locations. In addition to being culturally diverse, the Team strives for broad collaboration and inclusiveness, and a great level of transparency within the Team and other stakeholders. The Team's experience and ways of working have been broadly recognized, most recently by being part of teams that were awarded the CEO Powering Progress Award in the Net Zero Emissions Category (Project Avelia) and the Q3 CIO Award in the Grow Trust in Us Category (Digital Commercialization). Legal Counsel - Digital What is the role
The LDCoE serves as Business Lawyers to CSDI as well as Subject Matter Experts ("SME") to the broader Shell Legal community. The Team is the primary Legal Integrator for digital projects led by CSDI, and together with legal and functional SMEs, help CSDI in developing and exploring new business models and solutions in a safe and compliant manner, balancing value against the risk at hand.
The Legal Counsel Digital will have autonomy and be expected to provide networked performance with other teams, including legal professionals in Intellectual Property, IT/Cybersecurity and Ethics & Compliance (e.g. Data Privacy, Information Risk Management and Trade Controls). The role requires excellent networking skills to scan the horizon for existing and emerging digital legal issues and opportunities arising from Shell businesses and create legal strategies that result in lasting tangible value.
As Legal Counsel - Digital, your key accountabilities include:
- Act as a Business lawyer to CSDI, with a greater focus on US activities
- Act as a Lead Legal integrator to CSDI-led projects, interacting with, seeking advice from and developing close partnerships with other Shell Legal and Functional stakeholders (e.g., Intellectual Property, Data Privacy, Trade Controls, Information Risk Management) to support the delivery of digital projects
- Provide support on legal topics involving Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, Internet of Things and Edge, High-Performance Computing, Virtual Reality, Data Science, Computational Science, Commercialization of Digital Products, and Contribution to Open-Source Software, with a greater focus on US activities
- Act as a Legal Digital SME for Shell Legal regarding non-CSDI led digital projects across Shell
- Share your knowledge with the team members, other Legal and functional colleagues, and provide trainings to CSDI on legal topics as relevant / needed
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments, with greater emphasis on US jurisdiction, and translate those into actionable points for the Business to operationalize
We are looking for an individual that is:
Requirements What we need from you -
- A subject matter expert in the laws and regulation relating to Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, Internet of Things and Edge, High-Performance Computing, Virtual Reality, Data Science, Computational Science, Commercialization of Digital Products, and Open-Source Software
- Entrepreneurial with business proficiency to discuss various digital issues fluently with business managers and able to work together to devise legal and business strategies and techniques to increase business performance that is directly tied to a financial statement, doing so ethically and sustainably balancing environmental, social and governance
- A "techie" at heart that personally uses and applies advanced digital technology in the practice of law, one that understands digital technologies not just in theory but in practice
- You must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis
- Minimum of 7 (seven) years of experience focused on a combination of these areas: Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, Internet of Things and Edge, High-Performance Computing, Virtual Reality, Data Science, Computational Science, Commercialization of Digital Products, and Open-Source Software
- A law degree and professional legal qualification in the US
- Licensed in the State of Texas or able to obtain a license in a reasonable period
- An agile mindset complemented with excellent legal and strategic judgement
- Strong business partner with excellent stakeholder management skills
- Ability to identify and mitigate risks associated with digital project delivery
- Demonstrated interest and experience in digital innovation and digital technologies, and enjoy following and sharing the fast-paced developments in the industry
- Strong business acumen and can take a risk-based approach to legal issues
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and less-defined legal and business environment with clients who seek pragmatic legal advice
- Open to and interested in continuous learning, both of legal and technological developments
- Enjoy working in a hybrid team that is committed to creating a collaborative and transparent work environment that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion in all forms
- Experiment with digital tools that are available within Shell and are continuously looking for opportunities to improve the work and/or ways of working with such tools
- Deliver all aspects of legal services with a view to operational excellence, supported by a culture that embeds and sustains differentiating behaviors and networked performance
- Demonstrate the highest standards of ethics and compliance
- Comfortable intervening to ensure compliance with Shell's Business Principles, Code of Conduct, Control Framework and Ethical Decision-Making Framework
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible