Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Power Solutions business performs consulting and EPCM services for many of North America's power generation and power distribution companies.
Wood currently has exciting opportunities for an Intermediate Distribution Engineer
. Reporting to the Manager, Distribution Engineering.
This position can be a hybrid position in any of the following offices - Vancouver, BC, Calgary, AB, Regina, SK, Saskatoon, SK or Oakville, ON.
If you are not located near one of these listed officed a remote working opportunity will be considered but must be willing to do field visits when required.
If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you. Key Responsibilities
Skills / Qualifications
- Engineering of distribution electrical projects through the entire project lifecycle: from conceptual and feasibility, though detailed design, to construction and service
- Leading or supporting overhead and underground distribution engineering projects defining scopes of work, completing cost estimates, performing engineering calculations, interconnection studies and developing detailed design drawings
- Supporting the preparation of technical specifications, tender documents, technical reports, and project calculations.
- Providing construction support and overall project engineering coordination (as required)
- Responding to information requests during construction and completing project documentation including preparation of record drawings
- Leading a team of engineers and designers when required to successfully deliver a portfolio of projects
- Maintaining and enhancing relationships with other design disciplines and external stakeholders and assist team leads and managers
- Traveling and visiting project sites during design and construction (as required)
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with a Professional Engineering Designation or eligibility for registration
- 5+ years of overhead and underground distribution engineering experience serving utilities in North America
- Knowledge of CSA/IEC/NESC/IEEE Standards and Codes and major utility Engineering Standards
- Knowledge of electrical design including the selection and installation of conductors, insulators, switchgears, circuit breakers, fuses and other distribution equipment
- Knowledge of smart infrastructure equipment such as automatic feeder switches, remote sensing switching, remote sensing cap banks and other smart equipment
- Knowledge of PV's and EV's
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Able to exercise initiative when resolving issues and in adapting and applying procedures to address unusual situations
- Able to take on responsibility for your outputs on high-profile projects and grow professionally with our expanding organization
- Clean driving record/abstract
- The following qualifications are considered an asset:
- Knowledge of structural, civil and geotechnical aspects of distribution engineering
- Knowledge of overhead systems design and the use of PLS-CADD
- Knowledge of interconnecting DER's and modeling interconnection studies
- Experience in power system analysis (such as voltage drop, equipment loading, steady-state voltage rise, etc.) using software such as CYME, ETAP, EasyPower, SKM.
- Experience with substation and transmission projects
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Experience with GIS applications (Smallworld, GE, Bently)
- Experience with Structural Analysis Software (SpidaCalc, Pole Foreman, PLS-CADD)
- Experience mentoring junior staff
- Experience in both Canada / United States working for a local Utility company
- Experience working in a utility or consulting environment and managing multiple projects with competing priorities Company Overview
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.