Weatherford is a leading global energy services company. Our world-class experts partner with customers to optimize their resources and realize the full potential of their assets. Across our operating locations, including manufacturing, research and development, service, and training facilities, operators choose us for strategic solutions that add efficiency, flexibility, and responsibility to any energy operation.
We are focused on technology development, digital solutions, and defining our footprint in the new energy space. Our ability to provide integrated solutions across our segments will be critical to growth in our core operations and the energy transition.
Energy producers face unique challenges every day, so it is our job to create solutions that enhance safety, streamline operations, and sustain uptime to meet or exceed their targets. We operate across the global energy landscape employing some of the best diverse talent in the industry. At Weatherford, we understand the value each individual brings to the table. We celebrate diversity in all its forms and are immensely proud of our workforce. We invite you to join our passionate, talented, word-class team.
The Principal Electrical Engineer performs mechanical, electrical, component, system and process engineering functions such as developing and managing component level requirements, developing hardware architecture, developing hardware designs and implementing concepts, analysing and selecting commercial off the shelf (COTS) hardware components, developing design documentation, developing and conducting system and component level integration and testing. An individual at this level should demonstrate the leadership ability to head small work groups or project teams and have a significant history of leading successful projects. The Principal Electrical Engineer should be comfortable in an R&D, as well as production environment and capable of taking a design from concept through prototyping, testing, field trials and commercial production. Responsibilities
The Principal Electrical Engineer performs mechanical, electrical, component, system and process engineering functions such as developing and managing component level requirements, developing hardware architecture, developing hardware designs and implementing concepts, analyzing and selecting commercial off the shelf (COTS) hardware components, developing design documentation, developing and conducting system and component level integration and testing. An individual at this level should demonstrate the leadership ability to head small work groups or project teams and have a significant history of leading successful projects. The Principal Electrical Engineer should be comfortable in an R&D, as well as production environment and capable of taking a design from concept through prototyping, testing, field trials and commercial production.
Perform general design duties as assigned by Line Management carrying out such duties as:
- Responsible for requirements determination, analysis, concept design and concept feasibility evaluation for several advanced development projects focusing on applications of downhole comms-on-power systems, embedded circuits/machines, pressure sensors, optics and/or other electrical domains.
- Develop, write and review technical specifications for advanced systems, products and complete well system concepts.
- Applies mathematical, physical science, and advanced Electrical Engineering technologies in accomplishing engineering objectives.
- Provide technical presentations and demonstrations to lead customers and stakeholders during concept evaluation activities.
- Prepare detailed design proposals and engineering cost estimates for development of electrical, electronic and firmware design related to existing products and technologies.
- Conduct evaluations and design reviews of new and existing product designs to align with strategic objectives.
- Create test plans, procedures and reports. Monitor and collect data from reliability tests.
- Knowledge of deployment of equipment in Hazardous locations, explosive atmospheres.
- Prepare reliability analysis and reporting platforms for products and systems.
- Performs failure analysis to identify and implement root cause correctives to minimize development and manufacturing costs of product and equipment.
- Identify, qualify, and collaborate in recruiting, hiring and directly managing subcontractors when required.
- Responsible for driving technology and completion of activity on time and on budget.
- Act as a liaison between Supply Chain, Operational and Sales & Marketing functions to develop seamless commercialisation of products and systems.
Provide consultation to all stakeholders across a multi-disciplined team.
Participate in liaison with clients, where applicable, in conjunction with Product Line personnel, Customer Services, etc.
Any other delegated responsibilities as instructed by Line Management within the timeframe specified in a safe and efficient manner to meet business requirements, provided the instruction is reasonable and individual is capable and deemed competent to fulfil these.
- Will be required to travel locally and internationally as required to liaise with Manufacturing, Product Line and Operations personnel, as well as vendors / sub-contractors, customers and third party facilities.
- Will be required to travel locally and internationally to support product development, testing, operational support, and product line engineering effort.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Equivalent from ABET certified curriculum within a minimum of 18 years of related experience.
- Mastery of electronic technologies and domain knowledge
- Expected to have knowledge and significant experience in multiple engineering disciplines Experience in DFT (Design for Test)
- Must have Managed Test software/ hardware in manufacturing environment.
- Must have experience with motors and motor control.
- Must have experience of analogue, digital and mixed-signal circuit design.
- Must have experience of at least one high-level programming language.
- Ability to understand new control applications and develop simulators.
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Equivalent from ABET certified curriculum within a minimum of 18 years of related experience
- Experience in development of electronic downhole measurement, drilling, setting, actuation, and setting tools.
- Understanding of Oilfield Pumping systems and surface control systems.
- Demonstrated experience with and/or an understanding of open and closed loop feedback control systems modeling and design, electro-mechanical modeling, and design. This may include any or all of the following: Programmable logic controllers (PLC's); Relay logic; Electric motors (AC and DC); Motor controllers (variable frequency, DC, stepper and servo drives); Mechanical systems and subsystems (e.g., cables, springs, actuators, hydraulics, brakes, casters, etc.)
- Knowledge in evaluating and adapting software and hardware for automation systems such as Siemens S7, PI, SQL .
- Have good knowledge of protocols utilized between instrumentation and the network/cloud.
- Understand field deployed radio modems and their uses.
- Experience with the design and development of test programs to measure the functionality and integrity of products and services.
- Experience with failure analysis process associated with reliability and integrity assurance for life of well electrical and electronic systems.
- Experience with Altium Design Software, AutoCAD, Solidworks or Pro-E.
- 18+ years of experience in Engineering related to downhole oil and gas industry
- Working knowledge of electrical engineering practices, standards and specifications particularly related to electrical, embedded machines and firmware design.
- Must be hands-on and enjoy to working on the shop floor to resolve production issues.
- Previous experience in Hazard Analysis, Fault Trees and FMEA
- Demonstrated communications skills at all levels, to include presentations to executive level staff
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Desire to continuously learn, assessing current and new means and methods while seeking training/development opportunities that apply to group and self.