Electrical/Embedded Software Engineering Intern - (12 months) - Starting Summer 2023 About SLB:
We are a global technology company, driving energy innovation for a balanced planet.
At SLB we create amazing technology that unlocks access to energy for the benefit of all. That is our purpose. As innovators, that's been our mission for 100 years. We are facing the world's greatest balancing act- how to simultaneously reduce emissions and meet the world's growing energy demands. We're working on that answer. Every day, a step closer.
Our collective future depends on decarbonizing the fossil fuel industry, while innovating a new energy landscape. It's what drives us. Ensuring progress for people and the planet, on the journey to net zero and beyond. For a balanced planet. Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, UK.
Stonehouse Technology Centre (SHTC) is the SLB drilling Centre of Excellence. It supports SLB through innovative engineering and quality-driven manufacturing, with portfolio emphasis on rotary steerable systems, Measurement While Drilling tools, Specialized Measurement tools and Rechargeable Batteries for Downhole use, and power source products.
Over 300 employees work in SHTC's modern, fit-for-purpose building in scenic Gloucestershire. The facility was constructed to handle future demand for PowerDrive tools with an efficient workflow that ensures assembled tools are extensively and rigorously tested before delivery. On site, tools can be monitored using state of-the-art hardware and connectivity that link SHTC to all field locations.
SHTC continues Research & Development investment for new technologies, extending operational limits so that clients can reach hotter, deeper reserves. Job Summary:
Working in our engineering department you will be exposed to a variety of projects and work closely with other engineers and departments. You will use software for modelling, simulation and design, and experience hands-on work, working to improve and solve a range of challenges to improve reliability, support manufacturing and enhance the testability of our products. Creativity, initiative, good organization, willingness to learn and teamwork are key skills for this role. Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
Reporting directly to a project manager or senior engineer, you will be given selected engineering work assignments to reinforce the learning experience and to provide benefit to team. The assignments may include designing an electronic board or test system, developing a design requirements and specifications, evaluating commercial components, assembling prototype systems, designing and implementing embedded software, performing design verification and design validation, and troubleshooting.Competencies:
Nice to have:
- Demonstrated strong analytical and communication skills.
- Good documentation and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of Analog and digital signal processing.
- Able to read electronic schematic.
- Familiarity using oscilloscopes, voltmeters, power supplies and other electrical engineering Instrumentation.
- Embedded programming skills using C or a similar programming language.
- Experience using Circuit Simulation software such as LTSPICE or other similar electronics modelling tools.
- Adequate knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components.
- Hands-on experience in embedded systems (university projects/ assignments)
- Have worked in a team environment, including other project team members, users and project stakeholders.
- Board layout experience (experience with Cadence, Altium or KiCAD is preferred).
- Knowledge of Electromagnetism.
- Knowledge in Arm and TI processors would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of communication protocols such as RS232, SPI, I2C etc.
- Experience in writing hardware and peripheral drivers.
Studying towards a Bachelors or Masters in Electrical, Electronics or Embedded Software/ Systems Engineering related field. BlueFlex:
We are open to flexible, hybrid working with a combination of on-site & home working days.
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.