As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.What is the purpose
The Senior Legal Counsel IP role is to independently provide regional and global IP legal strategic support to Shell businesses in support of high value, risk, and complex matters. This includes independently drafting and negotiating IP agreements, providing IP advice, support IP claims and regulatory and compliance matters. The successful candidate will also have the requisite legal expertise to identify legal risks, e.g., trade controls, data privacy, litigation, legal digital and general liabilities and manage these in accordance with Legal processes and/or coordinated with other Legal departments.
The Senior Legal Counsel IP acts as the Legal lead for IP agreements or projects providing a unique expertise in intellectual property. The position includes independent work, but also leading co-owned projects undertaken by Legal and seizing opportunities for further continuous improvement and simplification.Senior Legal Counsel Intellectual Property (IP)What is the role
This Senior Legal Counsel Intellectual Property (IP) position will be an integral part of the Catalysts & Technology Agreements team) in Legal Services Projects & Technology.
The Senior Legal Counsel IP will provide commercially focused IP legal support to Shell businesses globally in support of high value, risk, and complex matters in relation to technology- agreements. The position will also contribute to team development and growth through mentoring and coaching of other lawyers to ensure the highest quality legal services and compliance is provided. The Senior Legal Counsel IP needs to be a leader that can provide strategic IP advice and planning as well as leadership on the implementation of business strategies.
More specifically, your key accountabilities include:
What we need from you -
- Providing strategic IP advice, drafting, and negotiating with internal and external parties regionally and globally technology-related agreements, including technology licensing, collaborations, and IP assignments, across Shell businesses
- Act as the IP lead for Acquisitions & Divestments (A&D) and joint venture projects including strategic IP advice, performing IP due diligence, and drafting and negotiating IP clauses
- Ensuring communication of IP-related legal developments to the business and functions
- Ensuring legal considerations and impact of decisions, including mitigation of legal risks are identified
- Engage and collaborate with Shell lawyers globally across the departments
- Creating a positive, proactive culture encouraging high performance and collaboration
- Leading by example by behaving in accordance with the Shell Core Values in everyday activities
- Commitment to and focus on continuous improvement and simplification
- Accountable for protecting Shell's rights and reputation
- You must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Candidates must have at least 9-20 (nine to twenty) years experience with IP agreements/transactions and/or litigation and/or patent prosecution/drafting; and
- At least 5 (five) years experience with IP agreements/transactions.
- Law degree and professional legal qualification in the US is required
- Admission or the ability to be admitted to the Texas State Bar
- Registration practice before the USPTO
- Demonstrated ability to be a legal integrator and independently lead the legal drafting and negotiation of a technology agreement and the ability to lead a project to completion
- Possess and have demonstrated good influencing, negotiating and facilitation skills
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a team, with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds, including mentoring, coaching and skill building in others
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively and influence stakeholders
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Resilience to keep a calm and balanced approach and maintain a robust stance in respect of allocation of risk for the Group, while balancing that with the commercial and strategic drivers
- Demonstrated ability to ensure that legal risks are identified, appropriate alternative structures and strategies are considered, and documents are always drafted consistent with professional standards, legal obligations, the Shell General Business Principles and the Shell Control Framework
- Ability to perform legal activities that include: (i) IP advice with respect to proposed commercial strategies; (ii) advising on legal rights and obligations under existing contractual arrangements; (iii) the negotiation and drafting of complex contracts; and (iv) resolution of legal and business problems encountered in the promotion of business interests and the protection of its assets and reputation.