Physicist / Modelling engineer About Us:
We are a global technology company, driving energy innovation for a balanced planet.
At SLB we create amazing technology that unlocks access to energy for the benefit of all. That is our purpose. As innovators, that has been our mission for 100 years. We are facing the world's greatest balancing act- how to simultaneously reduce emissions and meet the world's growing energy demands. We're working on that answer. Every day, a step closer.
Our collective future depends on decarbonizing the fossil fuel industry, while innovating a new energy landscape. It's what drives us. Ensuring progress for people and the planet, on the journey to net zero and beyond. For a balanced planet. Location:
SLB-Riboud-Product-Centre (SRPC), located in Clamart, is part of SLB global network of research and engineering centres. Our technology center is a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment with state-of-the-art research and computing facilities. We work on applied research projects in the physical sciences to meet the current and future challenges of the industry. Job Summary:
The Physicist / Modelling engineer is responsible for providing engineering solutions for the development or improvement of techniques, procedures and products using analysis and experiments based on principles of physics and mathematical modeling. The Physicist assists in planning, conducting, and evaluating approaches to meet project objectives in a timely fashion. You will work in close cooperation with domain experts, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and software developers; this requires good communication skills within a multidisciplinary scientific and technical environment, mostly in English.
The principal tasks will be in taking charge of existing tools and new tools' measurements. These tools are deployed during the drilling of boreholes and are based on transmission of electromagnetic signals, for either measuring the resistivity of the formation surrounding the borehole or transmit some information during the drilling. Design numerical models (finite elements or others) to predict the response of this type of tools: Electrical model of coils used to transmit signal downhole during the drilling. This will need to be performed for a variety of types of coils, either existing or under development. The results of these predictive models are integrated in an operational tool planner. Creation of tables of response to predict quantitatively the underground formation resistivity. These response tables are inserted in a dedicated answer product. Prepare, implement, update & validate the processing needed to go from acquired raw data to a commercially valuable deliverable like a resistivity log. Characterize tools metrology in lab conditions, with the help of mechanical, electrical & embedded software teams. Identify perturbation parameters and quantify acceptable tolerances on measurement, analyse the type of noise observed on raw data, and its impact on measurements. Support the field tests of these tools with QC of data, and validation of processing with help of interpretation and domain experts. Typical Responsibilities and Duties of a Physicist:
- Help develop products and assist in their commercialization.
- Provide engineering solutions based on principles of physics and mathematical models.
- Build prototypes, products and systems suitable for testing. Design testing procedures and coordinate tests, document results and assist in client presentations. Provide timely corrective actions on defects.
- Integrate, analyze and evaluate system, subsystem and element design and analysis.
- Develop and apply modeling and simulation technologies to specific needs of the project.
- Specify, develop, validate and maintain physics-based models of systems, subsystems and elements.
- Conduct technical reviews of project requirements, specifications and risk analysis.
- Contribute to design standards.
- Create and maintain product documentation.
- Make presentations to technical and management audiences.
- Author technical reports, papers, articles and patents.
- Share expertise via special interest groups. Build informal network throughout the organization and with customers.
- Assign, direct and review the work of technicians and junior engineers. Mentor junior team members as required.
- Provide training and support to customers and field representatives.
PhD or MS in Physics or Engineering or equivalent, with software experience or education.
Required Technical Skills
- Experience in developing and implementing numerical algorithms to solve mathematical models of physical phenomena.
- Knowledge in advanced computational methods and analysis
Nice-to-Have Technical Skills
- Experience in C++, C#, python, Comsol Multyphysics, Matlab is a plus
- Written and oral communication skill
SLB Eureka Technical Career (SETC) provides proven technical contributors with a career path that offers them recognition, reward, and influence that parallels an equivalent management progression. We are leaders in Technology Domain Knowledge - Our Eureka Community of practice has over 28,500 members, in 30 communities, with 123 Special Interest Groups (SIGs). We've published over 10,000 publications in the past decade. The early stage of SETC known as "SETC Associate", is a new addition to the SETC Framework in the Technology Organization. BlueFlex (if eligible):
We are open to flexible, hybrid working with a combination of on-site & home working days. What we can offer you:
Competitive base salary with bonus, private healthcare for employee & family, subsidised dental care, Health & Wellbeing programs such as the Employee Mental health support, health & wellness coaching, part employer and employee funded pension contribution, Income protection scheme, life insurance.
Other benefits are also available through the SLB flexible benefits program.
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.