Where you fit in?
High Performance Computing (HPC) and Technical Infrastructure (TI) in Shell is used extensively in the Upstream business (seismic processing, reservoir modeling, and R&D) as well as Emerging Technologies. Shell is actively exploring for hydrocarbons across the globe. HPC is an enabling technology for many Shell businesses, Joint Ventures, and Operating Units.
The HPC Services group in Shell provides HPC infrastructure services globally to Shell, with staff based in Houston (USA), the Hague (Netherlands), Malaysia (MY), and Bangalore (IN). The HPC & TI team brings business value with innovative, agile, reliable, and secure operational HPC & TI services.What's the role?
HPC Network Engineer "IT Ops Engineer" that focuses on administrating the network hardware and systems software used for High Performance Computing. This includes keeping existing hardware and middleware ecosystem running reliably and securely either, directly or by working with other teams, testing, and installing new hardware and system software, decommissioning old hardware and software.
In this role, you will work with colleagues and users across Shell globally. The HPC environment within Shell is constantly changing as we adapt to evolving business needs with innovative solutions and reliable services to our Shell customers. The global nature and large-scale use of HPC within Shell provide a challenging and exciting work environment.
What we need from you?
- You will be responsible for the installation, configuration, maintenance, and monitoring of network hardware and software, and the troubleshooting of complex network infrastructures
- Use strong automation, continuous improvement, programming and troubleshooting skills to maintain a reliable and high-performance HPC network
- Liaise with vendors, other engineers, and stakeholders for problem resolution
- Establish and maintain configuration management best practices
- Compliance with information risk management policies and change control policies
- Producing and maintaining technical documentation
- Sharing knowledge with other staff to ensure business continuity
- Pro-actively engage in learning, researching, and training on new technologies
- Work closely with other stake holders such as hardware operations, other HPC engineers, architects/project managers, and Optimization team
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Minimum three (3) years relevant work experience in a Linux HPC environment with hands-on expertise in managing and supporting the HPC networks.
- Bachelor's Degree is must
- HPC Network Administration, configuration, patching, and troubleshooting experience
- Ethernet and InfiniBand fabrics support experience
- Familiarity with various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS)
- Strong understanding of network infrastructure (hardware and software), network design, protocols, and processes, including Arista and Cisco Enterprise gear as well as software-defined NOS such as Cumulus
- Linux System Administration experience (RHEL 7/8)
- Programming and scripting skills: shell scripting, Perl, Python, ansible, etc.
- Solid understanding of OSI or TCP/IP model, networking protocols (e.g., IPSEC, BGP, OSPF, QoS)
- Thorough knowledge in accessing external vendor resources to resolve issues related to networking
- Familiarity working with Command Line Interfaces (CLI), REST APIs
- Self-starter with good analysis and problem-solving skills
- Strong team player and communicator, able to work well in a distributed work environment
- Openly share knowledge in a collaborative manner
- Knowledge of support processes, ITIL - Request, Incident and Change Management
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills (via email, phone, IM)
- Proven ability to deliver results vis influencing and team working
- Ability to operate in a virtual cross-cultural organization
- Ability to deal with conflict and ambiguity effectively
- Ability to handle concurrent tasks with appropriate priority
- Strong relationship skills; work well with multiple stakeholders across organizational boundaries
- Graduate with relevant experience in High Performance Computing industry
- Experience in contributing to Agile based projects and activities
- Strong understanding of the IT business environment will be an advantage
- Experience working in a largescale High Performance Computing environment
- Network Certification - Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Familiar with monitoring technologies such as Naemon, Grafana, Elasticsearch, MRTG, UFM, etc. is a plus
- Familiar with ServiceNow, Moogsoft is a plus
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potentials.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.