Overview / Responsibilities The preferred partner for delivering digitally enabled capital investments with low carbon solutions.
Wood's Projects business unit specialises in delivering predictable and consistent results in high complexity projects that include new technology, challenging construction logistics and, or sheer scale. Just like the nature and expansiveness of our sectors, so is our Projects business, in its solutions, abilities and global track record. Across any major capital project lifecycle, we provide a full suite of solutions from programme and project management, to engineering and design, procurement, construction and project delivery.
Powered by a global team of more than 12,000 people, we deliver some of the world's boldest and most critical projects
in many diverse and evolving sectors, including:
- Upstream / Midstream / Downstream Oil & Gas
- Renewable Energy
- Mining & Minerals
- Industrials & Manufacturing
- Life Sciences
- Government services
We have an opportunity for a Principal Civil Underground Engineer to be based in Reading on a staff basis.
We work on a variety of projects including carbon capture, hydrogen power, waste to energy, biofuels, recycling, petrochemical, and oil & gas.
What we can offer
- Responsible for the design of underground and over ground drainage systems and networks, develop drainage design solution, capable of terrain modelling, conduct flood risk studies, preparation of earthwork and site preparation design
- Responsible for assessing design of existing underground and over ground drainage systems and networks, develop drainage design solution
- Responsible for carrying our design studies and preparing project related design calculations, drawings and documents such as basis of design, philosophies, specifications, etc.
- Responsible for reviewing, checking and commenting drawings and supervise designers in the preparation of Drawings in accordance with Wood and Client technical work practises and standards
- Responsible for ensuring that all design activities are carried out within stipulated Man-hour budgets and time schedules
- Within area of responsibility manage work progress and schedule, prepare progress reports
- Advise Lead Engineer of any technical issues, schedule slippages, their causes and proposed corrective actions
- Assists in the preparation of any contract requisitions and schedules of quantity for work on assigned projects
- Work with inter-disciplinary teams on the project to deliver suitable designs. Liaises with client, construction personnel on site and addresses technical queries
- Within area of responsibility prepare estimates, MTOs, estimate basis memo
- Keep abreast of the project strategy and key drivers, participate in Model Reviews as and when required and report changes to the Lead Designer/Lead Engineer
If all of this sounds good to you, review the requirements of the position below, then follow the link to apply and start your journey with Wood. Skills / Qualifications
- Meaningful and interesting projects delivered to leaders of industry across the energy transition, emerging and conventional energy sectors
- A caring team culture; we support each other professionally and personally, encouraging knowledge sharing across all areas of the business
- Energy Transition Academy; join a community of experts sharing your knowledge and gaining more exposure to a variety of existing and emerging energy systems - delivered by experts in their field
- Flexible working arrangements that balance client, team and individual needs offering hybrid and remote working where relevant
- Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion; we are an organisation actively committed to diversity and inclusion across our business
- Competitive renumeration package with regular reviews to ensure we are rewarding at the right level in line with the market
- Flexible benefits package inclusive of 33 days annual leave (including public holidays),plus the potential for one additional 'flex day' per month. Further benefits include a generous contributory pension scheme, private medical cover, 4x base salary life insurance; all of these and more that can be adapted to suit your own lifestyle
- Commitment to continued professional development; development plans that are tailored to your individual needs and interests
- Global connections ; join experts around the world who are at the leading edge of our industry, shaping the standards of our profession
Even if you don't have all the skills and experience listed, we still welcome your application. At Wood, we value diversity and equal opportunities, and we believe in accessing all the talent available. So if you have some of the necessary knowledge, skills, and experience to help us tackle the world's biggest challenges and develop your potential, please don't hesitate to apply.
- Civil Engineering Degree
- Good understanding of drainage design systems to national and international standards
- Experience in a similar position, preferably within oil / gas or petrochemical industry
- Experience in using drainage design tools including Microdrainage
- Experience in developing computer model simulation of drainage systems
- EPC and procurement experience advantageous
- Technically strong, self-motivated individual able to work with the minimum of supervision
- Proven ability to engage in effective dealings with both client and contractors
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com Diversity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.