Company: Shell Skills: Chemical Engineering Experience: 3 + Years Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree Location: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Purpose & Accountabilities
The scope of a Margin Optimization Engineer includes the transition of key basic data, scheduling, planning, and/or assurance/lookback activities from various C+P assets.
Economic Model Coordinator:
Responsible for developing and maintaining up-to-date planning and scheduling models that provide a fit-for-purpose representation of the refinery/base chemical capabilities and constraints.
• Seek to understand shifts in data fit including identifying potential operating issues by collaborating with technologists.
• Where not in place, develop and conduct analysis utilizing other planning tools such as APS (Orion) to identify potential data differences between LP, Scheduling, and actual site performance.
• Lead process of Generating new models if required with Planning Advisor
Running sensitivities in the linear program (LP - PIMS) to ensure the refinery operation is optimized between monthly operating plan (MOP) cycles.
Determining break-even pricing and advising Trading and Supply on spot purchase and sale opportunities.
Assess site actual performance vs planned performance using the Margin Variance Analysis (MVA) process.
Assisting the Refinery Crude Economist in identifying LP model inaccuracies and general improvements to the Economic Model Coordinator.
• Has the primary responsibility to develop and execute refinery schedules in line with the optimized supply monthly plan and schedule operation within refinery operating windows
Implements in-month refinery and products optimization activities with supply teams to capture enterprise first value add.
Work scope may vary according to the assigned area of scheduling responsibilities namely Process Units, Crudes/feedstocks, Products and Logistics.
• Blending products (Gasoline, Diesels, Jet fuel) for the Business Department for the Refinery.
• Managing product quality giveaway across the product portfolio, and leverage Production blenders and automation (NIR, RAMAN) to ensure products meet specifications.
• Coordinating seasonal product schedules with Trading & Supply schedulers to ensure successful blend-up and blend-down is achieved for gasoline and distillate products across the supply chain, while minimizing giveaway.
• Validating blend recipes produced by the linear program (LP) model in PIMS and translating the monthly operating plan (MOP) into a detailed schedule in Orion and into clear direction for Operations. Close coordination with the Refinery Scheduler is required to ensure processing unit operations are optimized.
Value of Hydrocarbon Stocks, Crude and Products exceeding $10 Mln USD per month
Skills & Requirements
Chemical Engineering Degree
Minimum 3 years in the Oil and Gas industry with at least two years of experience in Economics and Scheduling (operating refinery or petrochemicals plants preferred).