Shell Asset Management Company B.V. (SAMCo) in The Hague is the dedicated in-house asset manager for the Royal Dutch Shell plc group sponsored pension funds and insurance companies and currently manages around USD 90 billion of assets for its clients. SAMCo is supervised by the Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM) and the Dutch Central Bank (DNB). The company is internationally oriented with clients in 10 different countries and approximately 200 employees. SAMCo's objective is to provide high quality and cost-effective investment advice and asset management services to its clients. On behalf of its clients, SAMCo invests in fixed income, equities, and alternative investment categories such as private equity funds and other investment funds, all over the world. Specific parts of the activities are also outsourced to external managers. Continuous changes in financial markets and regulations as well as the diversity of SAMCo's clients and the products they invest in, make it a professionally challenging environment to work in.
We are currently looking to recruit a Governance, Risk, and Assurance Officer
("GRA Officer") to join the GRA team. The GRA Officer will report to the Head of GRA and will be responsible for the Risk and Control framework within SAMCo and running the processes related to operational risk mitigation within SAMCo. The framework covers the objectives regarding SOx, ISAE 3402, regulatory and business demands.What's the role?
Your responsibilities include:
- Participate in all activities related to SAMCo's risk and control framework. These include among others
- the risk control identification process
- annual control review with SAMCo's control owners
- facilitate SOx and ISAE 3402 process
- perform and review control testing aligned with SAMCo control testing strategy.
- Participate in the assurance scoping, planning and closing process
- Liaising with SAMCo's management team, internal and external auditors, and teams in the wider Shell group such as Group GRA and IT Risk Management
- Ensuring that the SAMCo Standards, Manuals, Policies and Procedures remain up to date and are in line with Shell Group Policies.
- Running incident management processes in SAMCo and ensuring that controls are improved after occurrence of an incident if necessary.
- Involved as subject matter expert regarding risk and control in all SAMCo (change) projects.
Special challenges are:
What we need from you
- Support increasing the operational risk management component of the function.
- Ensure that controls remain fit for purpose in an environment in which investment strategies are becoming more complex while demands from regulators and auditors are increasing and there is no room for error.
You will have/be:
This function will provide you
- Master of Science degree, preferably with an RA, RO or RE title
- Experience with governance, assurance, and operational risk management in the asset management industry. Preferably, proven working experience within asset management e.g., as operational risk manager, internal or external auditor, or similar.
- The nature of the business, low risk appetite as well as no room for error, require ample knowledge of asset management business processes to support keeping the fully integrated Risk and Control framework fit for purpose.
- Pro-active attitude, ability to identify and solve problems
- Good analytical skills with an attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Good communication and stakeholder management skills
- The ability to perform a variety of activities simultaneously
- Good verbal and written communications skills in English
- Capable of working in a fast-changing regulated environment
- Strong knowledge about operational risks and controls to mitigate these risks in the asset management industry
- The opportunity to increase your stakeholder management skills and ability to maintaining good business relationships in dealing with the business and internal and external stakeholders