Market Risk Transformation Project Manager, Energy
It is recognized that the size and complexity of Shell Trading & Supply (T&S) has increased substantially over the past few years and the expectations around risk management from a regulatory perspective have also shifted for Energy trading. As a result, and also recognizing the potential to unlock additional value from enhanced risk management of our trading activities, a strategic decision has been made to make a major investment to strengthen the risk management capabilities of the organization from a people, process, data and systems perspective in both the first and second lines of defense.
This role, reporting to the Head of Market Risk Transformation for Energy, is tasked with helping to design, administer, and implement the Market Risk transformation programs for the gas, power, renewables, and environmental products portfolios for Shell Energy. These programs will include investments in analytical and reporting tools available to risk managers as well as "softer" elements such as helping to identify and fill capability gaps in teams, improving the relevance and effectiveness of risk meetings, rationalizing risk policies, managing stakeholders, and other "pillars" of the Market Risk Transformation program. Ultimately, our objective is to help the organization improve its decision making by improving risk/reward analyses and providing educated challenge and value-added insight to the commercial organizations and senior management.What is the role
This role will be accountable for the following:
- Help build the requirements defined by the Risk SME's and drive project execution on their behalf. This will span across the full spectrum of changes from small enhancements to the delivery of more significant IT investment
- Administer the various global Market Risk transformation programs for the gas, power, renewables, and environmental products portfolios for Shell Energy
- Prepare slide decks for senior management and program SteerCo and DRB forums.
- Ensure timely delivery by focusing on stakeholder management and project delivery through Market Risk, IT, Commercial, and Business Integration Assurance (BIA) resources
- Help ensure that project administration will be tailored for the scope and complexity of the project, not "one size fits all". Generally, this administration accountability will include ensuring projects stay on track and on budget and will cover scope, schedule, finance, risk, quality and resources
- Identify opportunities for the automation of day-to-day activity, the transfer of certain activities to the Business Integration and Assurance organization, the transfer of certain activities to Finance Operations and the identification of activities that should be considered for transfer from Finance Operations back to the onshore teams
- Provide advice and guidance to the First Line of Defense teams on the implementation of market risk capabilities
- Work closely with Transformation Change and Engage lead to ensure robust communication and socialization of Market Risk projects with all stakeholders
This role relates to Trading and Supply. Business stakeholders are primarily located in Houston, London, and Singapore, with additional commercial and functional stakeholders in other global T&S locations.Requirements:
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis.
- Preferred degree in Business, Economics, Mathematics, Science, Engineering, IT, or any related field with at least five 5 years' relevant experience.
We are looking for an experienced Market Risk practitioner, preferably in an energy trading environment with the following skills and qualifications touched by their work experience:
- Track record of successfully leading (or meaningfully contributing to) large improvement projects covering the span of initiate, planning, executing, monitoring/controlling, and close out phases.
- Working knowledge of project management tools such as Microsoft Project or comparable.
- Demonstrated ability of applying energy trading knowledge in a project management function. Should have a firm understanding of gas, power, renewables, and environmental products trading. Should understand market risk concepts, including P&L, exposures, reserves management, stress testing, VaR concepts, and complex modeling.
- Experience in leading projects using a variety of methodologies, e.g., Agile, Scrum, Waterfall, Kanban.
- Familiarity with project managing new ETRM implementations and/or interfacing with IT stakeholders to ensure successful project development would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience project managing initiatives to automate manual processes or decommission unused applications/processes/reports.
- Proven ability to manage and deliver through others, working with people from different cultural backgrounds and in a virtual, global environment.
- Strong communication skills, confidence to speak up and challenge plus ability to form effective relationships with stakeholders across Commercial, Risk, IT, the broader Finance organization, and other support functions.
- Proven ability to manage multiple senior (and other) stakeholders.
- Experience with QlikSense, QlikView, Tableau, Spotfire or comparable analytics platform in a risk reporting application is desirable.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently. An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.