Tackling climate change is the biggest challenge the world faces today. In 2021 Shell launched its Powering Progress strategy to accelerate the transition of Shell's business to net-zero emissions by 2050. This new strategy sets a variety of nearer term targets. Among others, it specifies 2030 milestones such as 8 times more LowCarbon Fuels (LCF) production and LCF sales increase to over 10% of transportation fuels.
As a major refiner, supplier, and retailer of road transport fuels in Europe, Shell is required to comply with government mandates by blending renewable fuels. At the same time non-compliance with mandates and regulatory requirements is prohibitively costly.
To enable this strategy, the focus areas for Trading & Supply LCF are:
What's the role?
- Development of new LCF value chains
- Develop and grow value from Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF)
- Develop LCF routes to markets (incl BioLNG and EV)
- Ensure compliance to LCF regulation
The Team Lead LCF Regulatory Operations
is part of the European LCF Regulatory Operations team. Based in Hamburg, the role will lead the DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) Sustainability team, thereby supporting continued value generation and regulatory compliance within the renewable fuels mandates for Shell Operating Companies.
Specifically, the role will:
What we need from you?
- Lead a group of Regulatory Operators (4-5 direct reports) in their activities and accountabilities in the DACH cluster (focus on Germany and Austria)
- Work together with the other cluster Team Leads to ensure close cooperation, knowledge sharing and best practice implementation
- Understand the end-to-end value chain of hydrocarbons and especially the renewable fuels element
- Understand the regulatory framework in the Operating Units within the cluster and "translate" the requirements to provide close monitoring of Shell's compliance position
- Support the business (all Supply entities within this cluster, Manufacturing and the T&S trading desks) when implementing certification, chain of custody processes and reporting requirements across the supply chain and for new business models
- Develop more understanding in these businesses on how their activities are impacted by and/or have impact on Regulatory Operations
- Ensure license to operate certifications and chain of custody processes (ISCC EU and ISCC + mass balance) are complied with and maintained across the DACH Shell Legal Supply entities
- Ensure Shell is audit ready within the context of the Biofuels Control Framework, acting as interface to regulatory certification systems and intern/external auditors
- Ensure smooth interaction and process development with key internal stakeholders like Tax, Finance and Deal Implementation
- Represent the LCF Regulatory Operations Manager with senior stakeholder in Trading & Supply organization in Hamburg
- Define and support best practice process implementation
- Transform the current ways of working into digital tools and improve ways of working to enable process excellence
The LCF business is subject to ongoing changes to meet the more and more stringent requirements set by the local regulators in each country. Being able to cope with fast pace and staying on top of regulatory changes and how these translate into day-to-day Operations are key. Knowledge of the end-to-end value chain of hydrocarbons is essential. Effective communication with various stakeholders, ability to influence and effective teamwork with internal stakeholder is critical (including Trading, Channel Optimisers, Hydrocarbon Deal Makers, Manufacturing, Operations and Finance/Tax Support Teams etc.).
Additionally, you will bring:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Highly motivated with self-started mentality, strong team player
- High interest in developing people and building a team
- Knowledge level competency and experience in Operations and Supply
- Analytically savvy and attention to detail
- Good IT skills to be able to support development of models and future IT systems that will be implemented
- Experience with digitization projects is desirable
- Proficiency in business German (spoken and written) and spoken English required.
At Shell Germany, our drive is to employ world-class individuals. We employ 4,200 people whose careers have benefited from our industry-leading career development programme and unrivalled inhouse access to local and global experts. We are active in many areas such as Gas, Gas Marketing, Manufacturing & Distribution of oil products, Petrochemicals as well as Research & Development. Shell in Germany is one of the biggest retailers of energy products and one of the largest refinery operators. Our extensive R&D facilities in Hamburg allow us to offer a broad range of expertise on Retail Fuels, Lubes, and Marine, Power and Engine Vehicle Technology. Shell began operations in Germany in 1902.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.