What is the role?
The Commercial Operator/ Natural Gas Scheduler - The South Operations team is part of the Commercial North America Gas Operations Team and is responsible for the day-to-day operational management of Shell Energy Americas (SEAm) Natural Gas activities in the South US markets. The scheduler will provide scheduling and operations support to various business desks across North America.
The primary purpose is to carryout daily natural gas scheduling and operational duties for Shell Energy Americas (SEAm) which includes but is not limited to the following accountabilities:
- Job duties:
- Coordinate the daily product movement for SEAm and agency customers including equity gas production, purchases, sales, transportation, storage on both interstate and intrastate pipelines via electronic bulletin boards while ensuring contract obligations and regulatory requirements are met
- Report physical pipeline positions to SEAm trading groups
- Schedule accurate nominations meeting all deadlines throughout the day
- Execute complex transport - segmentation and meter bounces
- Monitor and report pipeline operational information providing short term opportunities to trading due to pipeline constraints and operations
- Manage and balance pipeline and customer accounts
- Strict compliance with FERC Shipper Must Hold Title, Dodd Frank Bookout requirements and understanding of the buy/sell capacity release rules
- Maintains a thorough understanding of all contractual, license and regulatory requirements
- Know and understand of the various balancing mechanisms in use across North America regarding imbalance tolerances and the financial cash out risks for shippers and traders
- Understand how a pipeline calculates and uses cash out indices
- Knowledge in a pipeline's tariff general terms and conditions
- Input operational information daily into SEAm internal gas management system (Endur) for accurate P&L and a clean hand off at month end
- Highly proficient in the knowledge and use of SEAm internal gas management system to troubleshoot issues from deal entry to invoicing
- Team Duties
- Foster and maintain strong working relationships with teammates
- Build and maintain trusted partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Crosstrain train and Provide Coverage support to other schedulers within own team and across NA teams
- Perform monthly close activities to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Work with limited supervision to troubleshoot, resolve problems
- Focal Point for elevated issue resolution in absence of supervisor
At Shell we strive for teamwork and flexibility in a complex on-call business environment. We rely on cross training and teamwork to help provide work life balance, and we have a dedicated weekend staff to manage most weekends.
Flexibility and availability are key. The nature of the gas business is dynamic with multiple nomination deadlines and can require weekend and holiday work as well as on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Primary working hours are between 7:00 am and 7:00pm.
Natural Gas Daily Deadlines:
Intraday-ID1(same day) = 10:00 a.m.
Timely (next day) = 1:00 p.m.
Intraday-ID2(same day) = 2:30 p.m.
EVE (next day) = 6:00 p.m.
Intraday-ID3 (same day) = 7:00 p.m.
The times represented are in Central Prevailing Time. This requires the candidate to be able to multi-task and work on 2 different gas days at the same time. Commercial Acumen
- Ability to analyses market information, communicate and act on trading implications
- Commercially adept with demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements for Natural Gas Scheduling preferred
- Leaner Mindset and continuous improvement mindset would be preferred; ability to suggest and implement process changes and new procedures
- Champions continuous improvements (CI) by proactively supporting the forward plan for maintaining and improving systems, tools, data and processes as well as sharing best practices
- Advanced Excel User with knowledge of formulas, look-ups, linking, pivot tables and macros
- Knowledge of internal system; Endur / G-motion experience preferred
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Qualified candidate should have at least 3 or more years of natural gas scheduling experience
- Experience in scheduling US Gulf & Southeast region pipelines is a plus (Acadian, Sonat, Transco)
- Commercial mindset and ability to work effectively with trade desk in transport optimization, segmentation of pipeline capacity and realization of incremental value through commercial operational decisions
- Advanced Knowledge of equity production supply, gathering lines, processing plants and downstream optionality
- Proven track record of performance and delivery
- Self-starter and ability to effectively multi-task
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize, and meet strict time sensitive deadlines
Very strong attention to detail
- Effective communicator, with highly developed interpersonal skills
- Strong Team Player
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing internal and external requirements
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.