We are looking for a talented IT Advisor to provide power subject matter expertise to the 'Americas Power' IT business delivery team within Shell's America's Gas & Power Trading division. This important role is responsible for helping drive innovation and execution for all facets of platform and technology delivery for the Power Trading organization.Where you fit in
The Shell Energy Americas IT Power team is a rapidly expanding team helping the 'Americas Power' business grow and scale across expanding business models (including low carbon) to achieve our 2030 strategic initiatives. The Power business's core focus is the trading and optimisation of electricity within the Americas covering the electricity generation, supply and operations for all Shell's customer and Shell subsidiaries across generation and supply. Our growth ambitions require increased flexibility and scalability of our business models through technology enabled solutions, innovative platforms, and automation necessary to manage our renewable and flexible power generation and successfully trade in the fast-paced, highly automated intraday markets.What's the role?
The Senior IT Advisor supports the IT Manager to identify, realise, and protect value across the IT portfolio. The role drives rigour and discipline in the opportunity realisation process and self-starts to drive technology and data opportunities within the Portfolio.
The IT Advisor demonstrates understanding of business vision, strategy and KPIs, balancing these with knowledge about the Enterprise IT vision, strategy, and prevailing technology standards. Additionally, the IT Advisor bring external perspectives to help us achieve best in class technology solutions. Day to day the IT Advisor collaborates with business stakeholders, demonstrates curiosity about commercial problems, and demonstrates ambition to drive Portfolio fulfilment of target KPIs.
The role's key responsibilities are:
Integrated IT and Business Strategy
- Contributes actively to the evergreening of the IT Strategic Plan.
- Explores commercial and customer problems, determining possible technology and data investment or optimisation opportunities across the IT business portfolio.
- Understands the Enterprise IT strategy and associated standards for technology compliance and risk management.
Value Generation & Protection
- Supports the IT Manager in the end-to-end management of opportunity identification and realisation, including associated demand and value generation processes.
- Contributes to the Value Funnel of the IT business portfolio, independently owning and maturing individual opportunities.
- Strong focus on Business Value delivery across the organization.
- Creates robust business cases and understands how to calculate value, assess benefits, and determine risk. Supports the IT Manager to ensure that value data is correctly represented, managed, and reported in IT business management tools.
- Understands the vision, strategy, and KPIs of the Power portfolio.
- Understands the value chain, customer journeys, and associated touchpoints of the Power portfolio.
- Uses a strategic mindset to think through scalability, supportability, and competitive advantage of IT solutions.
- Understands industry trends and the dynamic competitor landscape.
- Uses external insight to contextualise work and engagement with IT Manager, business stakeholders and the business-facing natural team. Contributes to compelling thought leadership about technology and data adoption and exploitation.
IT Portfolio Management
- Owns and manages Power portfolio demand, working closely with business stakeholders to understand and capture detailed business requirements.
- Works to align the business facing natural team around elements of the IT Strategic Plan for optimisation of portfolio investments, reduction of operational costs, and management of risk.
What we need from you?
- Demonstrates an understanding of how the power trading business contributes to the energy future, and how the delivery of an IT Strategic Roadmap is foundational to getting us from where we are now to 2030 and beyond
- Drive the consistent use of innovation methods and data driven insights across technology development teams.
- Demonstrates curiosity about new and emerging technologies, actively seeking to understand how to commercialise products and services.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- At least 10 years relevant working experience in the trading industry.
- At least a bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, business, or a related field.
- Extensive knowledge of the North America wholesale power trading markets, real-time and day ahead trading.
- Sound knowledge of power operations associated with asset management, nominations, scheduling and the associated ISO interfaces and exchange.
- Strong commercial mindset enabled by rounded understanding of our business, customers, and technology.
- Experience with stakeholder engagement at all levels of the power trading organization.
- Exposure to a variety of trading organizations and the ability to bring valuable external insights into Shell Energy.
- A track record of innovation and technology-focused thought leadership.
- Creativity in identifying ways in which technology can enable business outcomes.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas, and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential...
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.