Where you fit in
The factories at Shell Pernis are controlled and secured with automation systems. As a Control Application Engineer, you are responsible for the availability, now and in the future, of the control and safeguarding systems within one of the production units at Shell Pernis. These systems are the tools of the Operators. On the one hand, these systems work with the instrumentation in the field (measuring instruments, valves, etc.) and on the other hand, these systems are connected to the office network for data analyses. For the control, we mainly use distributed control systems (DCS) from Honeywell, Schneider, Emerson and Yokogawa. In addition, various safeguarding systems are in use from Honeywell and HIMA. We also use an Oil Movement System to manage the movement of product across our site. Technically, the Control Application Engineer knows how to deal with these systems and is the first point of contact for the operators in case of problems or questions.
Within the Refinery Water treatment and Hycon (RWH) department, you will work closely with the Process Control Technologist and have a particular focus on the control and safeguarding applications for the HYCON and SDA factories. As a team, you make changes to the applications that are part of projects or plant changes, where you also collaborate with other disciplines and align the risks with operations. You also carry out the most common system maintenance and you often work together with the other specialist services or with the system supplier. Within the department, we also have separate teams for projects and system/network maintenance. With these teams, you mainly work together when things become too complex or very large.
In the long term, you can broaden your horizon at another Production Unit, further developing yourself or specializing in one of the central teams in the department or grow into adjacent fields such as process control. This ultimately depends on your own wishes, your abilities, and the possibilities.What's the role?
What we need from you
- Operate the process control systems/distributed control systems (DCS) and Safeguarding sytems with the highest possible safety and availability.
- Daily management of the systems,. This includes analyzing malfunctions, carrying out hardware and software modifications and taking care of the 'cyber-security';
- Interaction with and supervision of system suppliers;
- Where necessary, call for help and cooperate with the central maintenance team;
- Supporting projects or changes to the factory: What impact does this have on your system and what is the best approach? After the (sometimes supervised) implementation also comes the testing and commissioning of the new functionality. For the larger projects, you will work closely with the central projects team;
- Participate in investigation teams after incidents;
- Contributing to and Developing the long-term plans to keep the system up-to-date in the future and receive support from the management of the factory, in consultation with the central projects team;
We are keen to hear from individuals with demonstrated experience and/or training in process automation ((e.g. HBO Electrical Engineering with Minor Mechatronics, Industrial Automation or Control Systems Engineering).You must have the knowledge and experience of at least one of the DCS systems used in Pernis preferably Schneider, Foxboro I/A, and/or Advanced Applications Suite.
We also hope you possess the following skills and experience:
- Knowledge and experience with Honeywell safeguarding PLC systems and possibly other control systems (e.g. TDC3000, Experion, SMS, RTU2020 or HC900)
- Affinity with Automation Systems
- Good command in word and writing of the Dutch and English language
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.