What's the role -
The Senior Quant Portal (QP) Analyst role's primary stakeholders are commercial teams and risk managers located in T&S hubs of London, Houston, Rotterdam, Dubai and Singapore. The role focuses on providing pre- and post-deal quantitative market risk analytics to support these teams, in particular covering businesses in the Americas time zones.
- Ensure the smooth running of daily risk reporting activities on the QP application and the various tools dependent on the QP.
- Provide ad hoc advanced analytics at a transaction level such as for the calculation of pre-deal exposures (potential future exposure, expected exposure, expected credit loss etc). Transactions can be long-dated and complex, often with embedded derivatives and may extend into illiquid parts of the curve.
- Collaborate with market risk operation team to ensure process excellence.
- Support Commercial and Risk teams to understand and explain the drivers of the change of the risk metrics such as VaR.
- Conduct analysis and enhance the QP application to accommodate the new business actives or the change of market
- Ensure analytics methods and tools have clear and appropriate documentation.
- Provide leadership and support to Risk colleagues, including the Shell Business Operation (SBO) teams based in India and Philippines that support the QP and wider Risk team.
- Contribute as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) to reporting and analytics related projects as part of the transformation agenda within Risk, for example on any future analytics requirements.
- Act as a center of expertise for SME's across Risk, providing 'thought leadership' and helping them to interpret the quantitative drivers for the portfolio and specific transactions booked in T&S.
- Partnership with IT organization for expanding their capabilities to support Risk
- Interface with stakeholders in Shell IT, Commercial, Risk Transformation, and broader Risk etc
What we need from you -
- A legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor's degree in business, Economics, Mathematics, Engineering or IT in any related field. With at least (five plus) 5+ years' relevant experience.
Specific skills and experiences must include:
- Proficiency with SAS, SQL, Python or other programming languages is required.
- Prior quantitative risk analytics experience desirable, with a deep understanding of at least one commodity market in which T&S operates (e.g. Gas, Power, Emissions, LNG or Oil) and the quantitative risk methods commonly used, including how to apply them and where a simpler approximation might be suitable.
- Solid understanding of the calculation algorithm of Value at Risk using different methodology such as parametric method and Monte Carlo Simulation.
- Good understanding of the sensitivities of deal price such as different greeks and the impact of different greeks;
- Be proficient in using SQL query to retrieve data, reading data, and interpreting it.
- Be familiar with using at least one popular Energy Trading Risk Management system such as Endur to discover the market prices and check deal structure.
- Exposure to work in an Agile or Scrum project working environment is desirable.
- Exposure to the types of quantitative and data challenges faced in a complex trading environment with multiple ETRM's and other data sources.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal), including an ability to concisely explain complex concepts to non-specialist stakeholders in terms of intent and application.
- Excellent attention to detail, methodical, organized.
- Resilient when working under pressure, with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and exercise good judgement when providing advice, questioning discrepancies and escalating issues.
- Learner mindset: innovative and creative, excellent critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities.
- Experience of working in Agile and/or Product Development teams is desirable.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in among other exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of oil products, chemicals, electric power, renewables and energy solutions.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards f performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential...
We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment processes, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.