Overview / Responsibilities
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for a Civil Technologist in Trail, BC.
Reporting to the Engineering Department Manager, this position is located in our Trail, BC office. This role has overall responsibility for providing Civil Design to support on a wide variety of industrial projects.
If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
Our Trail office currently numbers over 50 engineers, designers, and support personnel. Trail, located in Southeastern British Columbia near the cities of Rossland, Nelson and Castlegar, is an affordable family-oriented community of approximately 10,000 people. The area offers excellent education and health care facilities, as well as access to world-class skiing at Red Mountain, hiking, boating, fishing, hunting, golf and all outdoor activities available in the Kootenays. Come work where most people dream of going to play! The Wood Trail office is currently offering a hybrid working environment, with your work week split between attending the Wood Office and working from home. This situation is subject to change and is dependent on project requirements, office plans, and Wood policy changes. Key Responsibilities
Skills / Qualifications
- Working closely with engineers, technicians, technologists and project managers in preparation of document and drawing packages
- Providing civil design and drafting support for utility and industrial facilities
- Design civil earthworks (including general grading, ponds, drainage, plant roads, haul roads, mill pads, rail spurs, etc.
- Design underground utilities (including fire water, potable water, force mains, sanitary sewer for mine and heavy industrial facilities)
- Inspect industrial construction projects for conformity to specifications and drawings and ensure that general quality for the project is maintained.
- Read and interpret detailed engineering drawings for construction layout and for construction conformity.
- Prepare project reports, detailed diaries and attend project meetings with clients, engineers, and contractors.
- Maintain detailed written records concerning material quality and instructions to contractors.
- Maintain construction records (e.g. pipe laid, excavation quantities, concrete and reinforcing steel placed, bedding and backfill material used, etc.) for the preparation of progress estimates and "as built" records.
- Inspect and ensure quality of materials including aggregates, concrete, asphalt, pipe fabrication, linings and coatings at manufacturing plants.
- Inspect the field application of corrosion protection on pipelines.
- Perform engineering related calculations.
- Ensure staff and contractors adhere to safety regulations.
- Ensure that clients and contractors understand the specifications and drawings.
- Oversee the work of contractors.
- Perform other related duties.
- Diploma in Civil technology or equivalent Technology Diploma with related experience in Mining.
- 2+ years of design experience in earthworks, underground and surface utilitie s is preferred.
- Ability to produce civil drawings using CAD software (predominately in AutoCAD)
- Experience with 3D design/drafting earthworks software (preference to AutoCAD Civil 3D) is preferred .
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.