Chief Estimator Overview
As Estimating Manager / Chief Estimator you will plan, evaluate and supervise estimate activities to determine cost efficient quantities and construction practices to reach pursuit, schedule and price goals. As a leader, you will be responsible for providing technical and administrative direction to the estimating team on large pursuits. Responsibilities
- Reviews proposal specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Provides technical and industry knowledge towards risk, contract management, owner relationships and vendor or subcontractor partnerships.
- Organizes and prepare bids, select vendors or subcontractors and determine cost effectiveness of project to bid.
- Prepares discipline estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work. Calculates material quantity requirements from engineering drawing dimensions.
- Reviews total estimate of all projects to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to formal submission.
- Participates in pre-bid meetings, bid strategy and representation meetings as required.
- Consults with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Perform additional assignments per management's direction.
- Reviews and incorporates historical data from purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit and person-hour figures.
- Partners with estimating team to prepare and conduct project hand-off meetings between pursuit team and project management team.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related field required.
- 15+ year experience in construction industry, estimating or cost control preferred.
- Experience leading pursuit and estimating activities for large or complex projects.
- A strong heavy piping background is required in this role.
- Construction, design, finance and management experience required.
- Able to lead pursuit and estimating activities on a large or complex pursuit project.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- Expert knowledge of best practice and innovative practices to control and reduce pursuit costs, quantities and risk.
- Communication and interpersonal skills for clear and effective support research, recommendations and pricing.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Time management and strong prioritization skills to meet tight turnaround and bid deadlines.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.