Purpose & Accountabilities
The Olefins Hot Side & Auxiliaries Technical Support Engineer (TSE) provides technical assurance and technical support for the Olefins area of the Deer Park Site. This role provides leadership and guidance to the process team supporting the area (typically including 2 - 3 Operation Support Engineers (OSE)).Senior Process Engineer What is the role?Responsibilities:
- Provide proactive technical support to help ensure that olefins cracking furnaces, downstream quench system, and numerous Auxiliaries systems are operated in a safe, environmentally sound, and efficient manner in accordance with established guidelines.
- Provide the process engineering Technical Assurance function for Management of Change requirements in their assigned area and provides backup for other TSEs.
- Provide guidance to OSEs in proposing appropriate operating targets for the process units and systems to meet established feed and product specifications. Audits unit/system performance against those targets.
- Propose changes to enhance the performance of the units/systems within the established operating boundaries.
- Identify and communicate issues to the appropriate technical and operations personnel. Leads or assists in evaluation of complex technical or operational problems. Assists as appropriate in problem definition and ensuring solutions.
- May coordinate the efforts of other resources to address specific problems or for scheduled startups or shutdowns. This can include other disciplines and P&T resources as warranted.
- Lead the Deer Park Furnace Improvement Team (FIT) to drive short term and long-term reliability, operability, and process safety improvements of the OP3 cracking furnaces.
- Actively participate in the Hot Side Technical Implementation Network (TIN)
- Provide technical documentation to ensure knowledge retention, continuity, and organizational learning.
- Provide technical overview to turnaround planning activities as well as startup/shutdown procedures. Provide technical guidelines for high impact events, abnormal situation management (ASM), etc.
- Coordinate input and deliverables of Projects & Technology (P&T) resources in support of operating area technical needs.
- May prepare or present the technical content of specialized Operator/Craft training.
- Provide process engineering participation in Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and Incident Investigations within assigned areas. Resolves numerous action items from various PHA studies in affected process area.
- Ensure process team engagement with the Shell P&T specialists to keep them informed as to the major unit/systems issues and progress in resolving. Collaborate with P&T regularly to advance medium and long-term technical initiatives.
- Review the weekly and monthly operating plans for proper representation of their operating units and systems. Participates, as appropriate, in the morning operating meetings to ensure process issues or opportunities are fully understood and addressed.
- Identify and defines process improvement opportunities and develops the business cases for justification.
- Provide support to long term strategy planning for the units/systems.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to OSEs and potentially supervises a summer intern.
- Collaborate with the Process Engineering Supervisor on development of less experienced OSEs.
- Provide support and leadership to multidiscipline teams addressing cross organizational issues/opportunities.
Requirements What we need from you
- Technical support to 12 cracking furnaces with a combined ethylene production capacity of over 700 kta.
- Support of downstream pyro fractionator, process condensate and dilution steam systems.
- Support of various Auxiliaries systems (i.e., flares, cooling water towers, boilers, fuel system, etc.)
- Occasional backfill support of Cold Side portions of DPK Olefins as needed.
- Occasional backfill of Process Engineering Supervisor in administrative functions.
- Direct mentoring and coaching of OP3 Hot Side and Auxiliaries OSE's.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Minimum seven (7) years' experience supporting continuous manufacturing processes. Prior Olefins furnace and/or quench system experience is a requirement.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering is required.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.