Where You Fit In -
The position sits in Market Risk Advisory team overseeing South Power and Gas portfolios
What's the role -
As a Senior Market Risk Analyst, you will be responsible of the following duties:
- Act as Senior Market Risk Advisory focal point for front-office and senior stakeholders
- Develop strong relationships with Shell Energy Americas commercial counterparts and possess deep end-to-end understanding of trading strategies, associated exposures and future growth aspirations for the trade desk supported
- Understand supply and demand fundamentals, including regional/locational price differences, fundamental drivers of changes in these spreads, historical market direction and trends/underlying fundamental causes
- Ensure adherence to mandated exposure and risk limits and provide guidance on actions to be taken to reduce risk if necessary
- Design and analyze independent stress-test evaluations/scenario analysis of the portfolio that align with current risk-appetite and asses if limits are "right-sized" for growth
- Evaluate new business opportunities by providing independent deal assessment including strategic/portfolio fit, limits impact evaluation, analysis of portfolio performance in various scenarios, identification of risks associated with the new deal, and back-testing strategies in collaboration with other Market Risk groups and the Deal Valuation team. Where applicable, provide peer review and challenge to deal proposals for other T&S businesses
- Regularly and independently evaluate known key deal inputs and identify/document shortcomings with internal evaluations
- Analyze performance or hedge effectiveness/back-tests of trading strategies, identify multiple factors driving position and profit and loss changes and provide insight to stakeholders and consumers of risk data for context
- Provide daily, insightful, commentary of key portfolio activity including market intelligence, exposure changes and new deal activity
- Develop and refine the fair economic valuation approach and provide steer on usage of market risk reserves
- Collaborate with other support functions (e.g. Finance, Technical Accounting) for deal support and general portfolio queries.
- Support internal/external audit requirements
What we need from you -
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Degree in Finance, Engineering, Economics, Mathematics or equivalent with at least five plus (5+) years relevant experience in Market Risk or Structuring in one of the following commodity areas - power trading, gas trading, renewables or environmental trading.
Specific professional skills include:
- Advanced grasp of North American supply/demand dynamics, deal structures, demand forecasting, stress testing, scenario analysis, VaR and exposure reporting.
- Experience modelling long-term energy transactions, tolling agreements, renewable power purchase agreements (solar, wind, batteries, biomass), capacity agreements, contractual flexibilities and non-linear products
- Experience in US power markets (ISO-NE/NYISO/PJM/MISO/ERCOT/SPP) and associated natural gas markets is preferred
- Intermediate to Advanced experience with the Microsoft suite of products: Excel, PowerPoint, Word, & Power BI
- Experience with Endur or comparable energy trading risk management system
- Experience with Spotfire or comparable analytics platform is desirable
- Resilient when working under pressure with the ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, exercise good judgement when providing advice, question discrepancies, and escalate issues when necessary
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), including an ability to concisely explain complex concepts to non-specialist stakeholders in terms of intent and application
- Learner mindset: innovative and creative, excellent critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in among other exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of oil products, chemicals, electric power, renewables and energy solutions.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential...
We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment processes, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.