Where you fit in
Join our Digital Community
You will be part of a community of experts in different capabilities in Information Digital Engineering driving ideas to reality embedding Artificial Intelligence (AI) in every part of our organisation from making our existing businesses more effective and efficient and make us competitive as we accelerate the development of the next generation of clean energy solutions.
The Information Data & Analytics (IDA) family is a family of Data experts who create business value every day with their cutting-edge knowledge. We maximize value from information & data, using our domain knowledge & deep technical expertise in market leading information & data tools, to deliver actionable data driven insights for Shell.
Want to join us at Shell Powering Progress for a better future?
With you part of our team, we will accelerate our digital journey at Shell.
Join our Data Community
You will be part of a community of experts in different capabilities in Information Digital Engineering driving ideas to reality. The Information Data & Analytics (IDA) family is a community of data experts in Shell who create business value every day with their cutting-edge knowledge. We are looking for more members to join the IDA Family. What's the role?
The Principal Software Engineer is an individual with proven experience in leading by example in adherence to software engineering best practices, delivering software products/applications generating business value. They are expected to be a community leader and have continuous improvement mindset, driving value-based process, product/application optimization and technology roadmap. A Principal Software Engineer is expected to be a subject matter expert, and an active thought partner in the organization's data strategy and the key driver to define the Vison and Data Strategy for robust and future ready IT solutions. You will:
- Solution consultation and development in accordance with the enterprise technology principles, methods, standards, and practices
- Estimation, solution design, detailed technical design, application technical deliverables including code, associated tests and documentation
- Contribution to functional excellence in terms of definition and maintenance of standards, methods and tools, bringing in best practices from market standard implementations
- Manage complex integration scenarios and interfaces between on-premise solutions, cloud and legacy systems
- Drive implementation efficiency and effectiveness across the pilots and future projects to minimize cost, increase speed of implementation and maximize value delivery.
- Drives & contributes to community building initiatives like Centre of Excellence (CoE), Community of Practice (CoP)
You will be an asset in our team bringing deep technical skills and capabilities to become a key part of projects defining the data journey in Shell, keen to engage, network and innovate in collaboration with companywide teams.
We focus on continuous learning of new technologies to make you future ready. What we need from you
We are keen to hear from the candidates with the below skill set:
- Extensive relevant software development experience broadly ranging from data, back-end, cloud automation and orchestration with depth as an accomplished engineer in Python
- Extensive experience in IT Industry with University degree in any IT discipline
- Previous experience as a data engineer or in a similar role. Highly proficient with object-oriented/object function with Python
- Experience with Azure Cloud Platform (Databricks, Azure SQL Database, Azure Datalake, Azure Storage)
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including SQL Server, MongoDB and Cassandra
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Databricks, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- Proficient in cloud native patterns and operating via modern DevOps/ Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices. Operational exposure to CI/CD Pipelines via either GitHub Actions or Azure DevOps
- Domain experience in Energy Trading, preferably with Power Trading & Wholesale Energy Markets would be highly regarded.
- Experience in Agile teams applying the best architecture, design, unit testing patterns & practices with an eye for code quality and standards.
- Demonstrated broader community presence with publications and accreditations.
Nice to have Skills
- Risk - Modelling & understanding of risk & risk management
- Quantitative Skills - Statistical methods to check and investigate numerical data for practical insights
- Commodity Modelling - Energy (power, gas, environmental products) and meteorology
- Experience in project management, running a scrum team
- Experience working with - Business Planning & Consolidation (BPC), Planning
- Exposure to working with external technical ecosystem
- Managing small teams
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part. An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.